rebuild tips

boobaloojones

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of rebuilding my 80xs. It has 8k miles that I know of. It runs rough, has probably had gas(from the faulty petcock) seep into the engine. Not to mention on the engine, which I think has thinned the oil on the chain making it seem like I have an oil leak.

Anyway, I am really wanting to just rebuild the whole thing. So I'm hoping the experienced builders could tell me which seals/gaskets/parts I could get by without and which I would likely have to purchase.

Already sitting in the garage is a new 18/34 sprocket set w/ 530 chain. Oil & sump filters. Brake pads. New grips, switches, and drag bar with mini speedo. Shorter rear springs, tail light, turn signals, mufflers. Gonna redo the seat myself using the orig pan, thinking fixed solo, but contemplating leaving room for my girl. Cut the front fender, gonna trim the back seat rail and rear fender.

On the wish list... headlight, fork gaiters, I'd really like to figure out a way to get a smaller front brake reservoir handle due to lack of room on TOO short bars. Enough with the easy cheese.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!
I want to do it within a month and if I can, have the work done in local machine shops.

277 rephase; crankshaft, camshaft, and ignition or stator? not sure which you have to swap. With 3rd oversize piston and bore.

Can I get by with out the rephase? It seems like it's worth the trouble.

What should be salvageable?

Please help me out, Sorry for the babbling.

Also, when rpms would get high it seemed to bog down, as if the air fuel ratio changed drastically. After changing the handlebars it reacts as if the clutch isn't releasing enough(will not accelerate, picks up speed if you let ride it out slow and patiently). I'm guessing the shorter distance from bars to casing has created tension with the sharper bends in the cable.

Back