Rebuilding a Tupperware 1979-1980 3G0. Wiring Question

rjz1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together this bike that I picked up completely disassembled. I have two questions. First, am I routing the wiring harness correctly over the left side of the frame? I haven't got everything laid out and connected but the harness seems a bit short doing it this way... Second question, where can I find some of these fuse connectors in the bottom picture? It appears that this one broke and someone soldered the fuse to the connector.

thanks!
20180729_161521.jpg
20180729_161535.jpg

You would do your bike a servise by replacing the fuseboard with a modern 4 place blade fuse board as found in vehicals of today.

On my 79' the harness was a 2-part with one on each side of the frame.

Ater simplifying it though, and removing some of the "good ideas to come out of the 70's" like the reserve lighting unit and moving the ignition to the side of the bike, the harness is much smaller and I now only have 1 loom of wire running on the right side of the frame.

Tupperware?
I bought the bike in pieces which were scattered within a bin.

You would do your bike a servise by replacing the fuseboard with a modern 4 place blade fuse board as found in vehicals of today.

Thanks! Do you mean to replace just the fuse board or the whole harness (which would have a modern board)? Are these the same ones as found on Mikesxs, xs650shop, etc?

On my 79' the harness was a 2-part with one on each side of the frame.

Thanks! After simplifying it though, and removing some of the "good ideas to come out of the 70's" like the reserve lighting unit and moving the ignition to the side of the bike, the harness is much smaller and I now only have 1 loom of wire running on the right side of the frame.
I've wanted to build (or significantly alter an existing harness) to simplify things as much as possible. I feel a little inexperienced when it comes to electrical work... Did you follow a tutorial or similar to creating this? Like, I didn't know about the (good idea) reserve lighting unit nor do I know about other items that can be removed in order to simplify.

I'm putting together this bike that I picked up completely disassembled. I have two questions. First, am I routing the wiring harness correctly over the left side of the frame? I haven't got everything laid out and connected but the harness seems a bit short doing it this way... Second question, where can I find some of these fuse connectors in the bottom picture? It appears that this one broke and someone soldered the fuse to the connector.
thanks!
Hi rjz1,
"tupperware" because it's got plastic side-covers instead of steel ones, right?
Also clip-down seat, aluminum grabrail and TCI?
Like azman sez, toss the stock fuseblock and replace it with a modern blade-fuse unit.
Like Pete sez, the stock wiring loom had so many wires in it they had to split it into halves, one each side of the frame.
Agreed that if you choose to remove most of the bike's mystery modules there'll be a lot less wires to install.[/QUOTE]

I bought the bike in pieces which were scattered within a bin.
Thanks! Do you mean to replace just the fuse board or the whole harness (which would have a modern board)? Are these the same ones as found on Mikesxs, xs650shop, etc?
I've wanted to build (or significantly alter an existing harness) to simplify things as much as possible. I feel a little inexperienced when it comes to electrical work... Did you follow a tutorial or similar to creating this? Like, I didn't know about the (good idea) reserve lighting unit nor do I know about other items that can be removed in order to simplify.
Hi rjz1,
like it sez in the bible, "Seek and ye shall find"
For XS650 "how to's" use the "search" bar at the top of the page and check out the Tech section too.

If you look in the back of a factory shop manual, you'll find drawings illustrating how the wiring harness should run, cable routing too. You can download free copies of the manuals from the xscafe.

I have a manual plus some wiring diagrams I got from this site, but the advantage I had was that the harness was installed on the bike, so I just removed the tank and headlight and some other bits and traced them the old fashioned way. reserve lighting unit was 2 wires at least I think, moving the ignition was another 3 and some others from removing the headlight relay and replacing with a switch. By the time I was done it looked about the size of one harness from one side before, so that's why I did it that way.

You would replace just the fuse board. Remember, the 30amp fuse safeguards the 3, 20amp ones. Check the schematic.

You got me. It is 1ea. 20amp and 3, 10amp fuses. My mistake.

Back