Rebuilding front forks

Inked Monkey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My left front seal started leaking on my forks. The springs in them seem worn out anyway. Is it just a matter of taking out the old springs and putting in some new ones? I can't seem to find a writeup on how to take these things apart.

- the springs are direct swaps for both internal and external variants..if external springs-remove the forks from the clamps...if internal and you have preload fork caps set the caps to the lowest load setting before removing them
- its easier to replace the seals after stripping the forks down

Yeah I've got the preload adjustable caps. In order to replace the seal between the tubes, I assume I need to take the forks completly apart. How do I separate the two halves?

- drain the oil using the drain screw, when the flow has dropped give the forks a pump or two-remove the wheel and axle...under the bottom is an allen bolt, if you can loosen this with the springs still loaded youre in luck otherwise you need to make a special tool depending on the year to hold the damper rod after removing the springs

- early ... 34mm forks internal springs with damper

35-5022.jpg

- later-35mm fork...some use a socket with bolt and extensions...i made this tool using threaded rod and 17mm nuts-its too long but works well...40cm is all you need
PA220025.jpg

forkdamper.jpg

Last edited:
Back