Rebuilding timeframe

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Doing my top-end rebuild. Pistons are in cylinders, ready to connect to rods, add base gasket, etc.

I want to split my rebuild into a several night thing, i.e. tonight I add base gasket, jugs, and pistons. Tomorrow I add head gasket and head. The next day I add rockerbox and itghten everything down. Is this allowed, or because of the yamabond and nature of the base and headgaskets must it all be done at once?

Best,
Adam

I recommend you alot one day to do it all. Its a good idea to also use yamabond (3bond1104) on the head gasket. For the head gasket,use a very small amount around the outer studs (exposed to oil pressure) and around the camchain tunnel.

Make sure the camshaft indexing marks are alined correctly with the engine a TDC.

I found the best way for me was to have the engine standing on its nose, so the cylinders (with the pistons already installed into the cylinders) would just slide into the engine case.

Attachments

• Cyl  Piston install mod1.JPG
    Cyl Piston install mod1.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 73
Thanks rg.

I'll do it in one day then.

I do indeed intend on using Yamabond on the head gasket. Additionally, I am going to use gasgacintch on the base gasket.

Best,
Adam

Back