Rebuilding xs650 couple questions please tell!

Motochick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. I am new to the Yamaha xs650 world. A couple of months ago I bought a 1978 xs650s. I have rebuilt everything and I am down to bare frame for powder coating. I am stuck on two things. One, good drag pipes to replace stock exhaust...suggestions please. Also, tire suggestions? I want old school tread! Firestone? Thanks in advance!!!

hey everyone. I am new to the Yamaha xs650 world. A couple of months ago I bought a 1978 xs650s. I have rebuilt everything and I am down to bare frame for powder coating. I am stuck on two things. One, good drag pipes to replace stock exhaust...suggestions please. Also, tire suggestions? I want old school tread! Firestone? Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Motochick and welcome,
there's several guys that make them, just google "XS650 drag pipes" pick the pipes you like the look of and send them the money.
But get them with internal baffles &/or with slip-on mufflers, the XS650 needs some exhaust back pressure to run nice.
For old-school tread pattern, I'd also say Dunlop K70.

If you don't have powder coater I have a good one that I have been using for over 10 yrs here in NJ
Just had this tank done

Attachments

• bk1.jpg
    bk1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 155
Hi Motochick and welcome,
there's several guys that make them, just google "XS650 drag pipes" pick the pipes you like the look of and send them the money.
But get them with internal baffles &/or with slip-on mufflers, the XS650 needs some exhaust back pressure to run nice.
For old-school tread pattern, I'd also say Dunlop K70.
I guess I'll get baffles lol. I wasn't going to but you made a good point.

If you don't have powder coater I have a good one that I have been using for over 10 yrs here in NJ
Just had this tank done

Your rebuild is excellent! Your bike looks fantastic. I have someone that was recommended to me that has a shop in old bridge. I haven't spoken to him yet. So any referrals you have I'll take! I want to powder coat the frame but, I think I want to paint the tank. I want to put a metal flake stripe on it where the badge sits. Any recommendations for painters??? This is what my bike looks like now lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5242.JPG
    IMG_5242.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 178
This is what my bike looks like now lol.

Moto, not real sure but I think there are a couple parts missing off that 1978, at least the on out in the barn I have looks a bit differento_O Now the 1972 in the picture to the left over there, that one looks about like yours now days!

Motochick:
Ya got a real nice start there Girl but I think your going to need a bit more stuff before you can ride it down the road !
I can't Damm ya for your enthusium though ! ya might try to find some wheels and tires for that thing so you don't havt'a carry it around....
and scrounge up an engine too..... anything is better than walking !
but seriously..... fancy paint ? why ? i'l just get dirty chasing the cows ! Krylon works great ! and dries fast too ! LOL
hehhehhehe
More power to ya Kiddo go for it and make it a buity !
Bob..........

Motochick:
Ya got a real nice start there Girl but I think your going to need a bit more stuff before you can ride it down the road !
I can't Damm ya for your enthusium though ! ya might try to find some wheels and tires for that thing so you don't havt'a carry it around....
and scrounge up an engine too..... anything is better than walking !
but seriously..... fancy paint ? why ? i'l just get dirty chasing the cows ! Krylon works great ! and dries fast too ! LOL
hehhehhehe
More power to ya Kiddo go for it and make it a buity !
Bob..........
Haha you guys are nuts. I already rebuilt everything I just stripped it all down for powder lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3920.JPG
    IMG_3920.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 191
I just want a new exhaust and tires before I put it all back together!!! And I need a new swingarm pivot bolt. Other than that I'm ready to go.

^Yikes. I guess the one you're replacing is cracked at the threads?

IIRC some guys found a suzuki GS swing arm pivot bolt that fits, it has full size threads also.

Hi Motochick - you could try YamBits in the UK. They sell XS650 parts and by all accounts are really good to deal with.

Pete

Back