Recommendations for ratchet straps.

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm soooooooo tired of cheap ratchet straps failing after a hand full of uses!:banghead:

Anyone have any recommendations for medium duty straps that aren't total garbage? The last set of six I bought is down to 3, the handles literally just fold in half if you crank em down, these were not cheap. I'm about to start using log chains and binders :cussing:

I have big ratchet straps for securing heavy stuff, I just need straps for hauling motorcycles other light stuff in truck/small trailer.

I like Ancra straps for motorcycles.
upload_2021-6-22_10-51-20.png

I still have a couple Ancra straps that I've had since the 70's, however they're not ratcheting.
You can get decent ones in the same places you get the cheap ones you just need to compare. You want the levers to be decent thickness and the strap webbing as well. Those cheap orange ones that you see pieces of all along the highways you need to avoid like the plague. The fact that you see shreds of them everywhere is the best indicator that they're trash. Last ones I bought, two sets, I think I got at Lowes or Home Despot, the straps are black and a good thickness, levers are substantial and nice plastic grips on them, not just cheap vinyl dip. Have had them 5-6 years now and several long trips without failure.
I also went to Cycle Gear and bought some of the soft loops to use with them as the hooks aren't always big enough to fit over frame tubes where you want them.

In a truck bed or trailer, I use the two-strap method, one strap on each side of the handlebar. You don't need ratchet straps for this, they just slow things down. Very efficient and secure. You just need a wheel chock, or some other way to keep the front wheel from turning. I use a short rope tied between the lower strap tie down points, the ones in the bed.
Additional straps just screw up the ability of the first two straps to hold the bike IMO.

I still have a couple Ancra straps that I've had since the 70's, however they're not ratcheting.
You can get decent ones in the same places you get the cheap ones you just need to compare. You want the levers to be decent thickness and the strap webbing as well. Those cheap orange ones that you see pieces of all along the highways you need to avoid like the plague. The fact that you see shreds of them everywhere is the best indicator that they're trash. Last ones I bought, two sets, I think I got at Lowes or Home Despot, the straps are black and a good thickness, levers are substantial and nice plastic grips on them, not just cheap vinyl dip. Have had them 5-6 years now and several long trips without failure.
I also went to Cycle Gear and bought some of the soft loops to use with them as the hooks aren't always big enough to fit over frame tubes where you want them.
I have a set of good friction lock straps, I've never trusted em. I know you used to be able to buy good ones at the same place you could buy junk. But it seems like the junk is slowly over taking the quality.
In a truck bed or trailer, I use the two-strap method, one strap on each side of the handlebar. You don't need ratchet straps for this, they just slow things down. Very efficient and secure. You just need a wheel chock, or some other way to keep the front wheel from turning. I use a short rope tied between the lower strap tie down points, the ones in the bed.
Additional straps just screw up the ability of the first two straps to hold the bike IMO.
Getting a bike secured has never been an issue, I've never even had strap break. I'm more concerned with the quality of the ratchet itself, I keep destroying them. I have always used 4 straps around here, the roads in NE Kansas are crap to put it politely.

etrailer tends to sell good stuff.
I look at straps as consumables.
I'm trending towards buying the self storing ratchet straps.
Two on the bars one around the rear tire cuz I don't want a bike flipping forward or around to one side in a crash.

etrailer tends to sell good stuff.
I look at straps as consumables.
I'm trending towards buying the self storing ratchet straps.
Two on the bars one around the rear tire cuz I don't want a bike flipping forward or around to one side in a crash.
:agree: Yeah I have no problem replacing worn straps, but I've only gotten 3-4 uses out of last few sets. I'm with you I always strap the back down, we got some rough roads.

Bought these when i got the DL650 and transported it 140 klm. only used 3, 2 on the front and one for the back. tied the front wheel to the front of the Tray. Put the bike on the ute tray, no trailer.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p....6m-454kg-4-pack/213434.html?cgid=SCA01041001
SCA_213434_hi-res.jpg

have bought cheaper ones but the ratchets can let go, and in a just in case senario i tied a rope across the front to each side of the try so the bike couldn't fall if one stap let go.

Back