Recommendations needed for cleaning aluminum parts, brushes to use

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
When cleaning aluminum parts, what's the preferred methods and materials to use?

Soap & water?

Solvents to use on Aluminum? Solvents not to use?

I have MEK, Acetone, Kerosene, Diesel, Yamaha Carb Cleaner Dip, etc.

Any recommendations on types of brush materials to use or not to use?

Brass bristle? Soft bristle toothbrush? No plans to use steel bristle brushes!!

What about best ways to remove old gasket materials such as from the attached sump plate?

Attachments

• 2011-06-28_18-42-58_427.jpg
    2011-06-28_18-42-58_427.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 2011-06-28_18-52-06_474.jpg
    2011-06-28_18-52-06_474.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 2011-06-28_19-13-31_255.jpg
    2011-06-28_19-13-31_255.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 2011-06-28_20-56-28_863.jpg
    2011-06-28_20-56-28_863.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 181
I wouls use a brass wheel brush in a drill for that, you could use a steel brush if you are careful.

For the gasket I use a sharpened putty knife or utility knife blade BUT you have to work carefully to avoid nicking the aluminum. To finish up I place a piece of 400 grit on a flat surface and slide the cover around on the sand paper. I will also use a file to clean up gasket surfaces BUT you need to be sure not to round any surface or corner which can ruin any chance of it sealing. Pretty much any solvent is fine and won't bother the aluminum. My current favorite is paint thinner (mineral spirits) Charcoal starter seems to work well also. Effective but not too hard on me. Clamp the part in vice and use ONLY light flat strokes spread across the entire part in different directions. For cleaning up non gasket surfaces I really like the nylon 'wire wheels with embedded abrasives. They come in several "grits". You can then move up finer and finer and buff to the polish level you are willing to achieve and maintain.

i love using the liquid gasket remover from permatex, as long as you make constant applications and keep the gasket wet with the stuff it lifts right off. i've used it multiple times on both mine and my g/f's 650 and it doesn't seem to eat into the aluminum at all.

Thanks all for the words of wisdom and advice.

Reminds me of Gasket Eater that my employer stopped using years ago due to it's containing methylene chloride, which is regulated by OSHA...

Worked damn well, though. I think I'll look for some on the market. :)

I use plain old paint stripper to remove old hardened gaskets. Softens them up so they scrape off easily. If you're trying to clean up polished surfaces, you'll need the paint stripper again as they were clear coated from the factory. Then the nylon wheels Gary mentioned, then light sanding, then buffing. Lots of work but it will make you "one" with the machine. It's a Zen thing, lol.

I bought some paint stripper. One that contains 80-90% methylene chloride, so I expect it to work well. Likewise, gasket removers often contain MC. Not sure about the Permatex product.

I came across the following website.

http://www.eurochlor.org/index.asp?page=419

And came away with the following:

1) Use extremely pure solvents (not sure how to ensure this or verify)
2) Avoid prolonged exposure of the aluminum with these chlorinated solvents
3) Least reactive with Aluminum to Most reactive:

Perchloroethylene (Tetrachloroethylene or PERC) (I'm gonna try this solvent).
Methylene Chloride
Trichloroethylene (TCE)
1,1,1-Trichloroethane

I'm not sure what "stabilised", "highly stabilised" and "uninhibited" means...

I plan to use paint strippers (or gasket removers) that contain MC and also plan to continue to use solvents that contain TCE cause they work so darn well, but I'm going to do so with caution since I now realize the reactivity with aluminum....

Has anybody tried CRC Brakleen Brake Parts Cleaner (#5089) to clean (non-brake related) aluminum parts? The reason I ask is that it contains 60-85% tetrachloroethylene (Perc).

For the gasket I use a sharpened putty knife or utility knife blade BUT you have to work carefully to avoid nicking the aluminum. To finish up I place a piece of 400 grit on a flat surface and slide the cover around on the sand paper. I will also use a file to clean up gasket surfaces BUT you need to be sure not to round any surface or corner which can ruin any chance of it sealing. Pretty much any solvent is fine and won't bother the aluminum. My current favorite is paint thinner (mineral spirits) Charcoal starter seems to work well also. Effective but not too hard on me. Clamp the part in vice and use ONLY light flat strokes spread across the entire part in different directions. For cleaning up non gasket surfaces I really like the nylon 'wire wheels with embedded abrasives. They come in several "grits". You can then move up finer and finer and buff to the polish level you are willing to achieve and maintain.
GG Mineral spirits and charcoal lighter fluid are the exact same petrochemical product.

You don't know how old MY can of lighter fluid is. :wink2: It used to be some potent stuff!

Back