1. The site has been updated to the Xenforo platform for numerous reasons. If you find any bugs or problems, please post them here: Software Update
    Dismiss Notice

rectifier and condenser

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by franklinshaw, Jan 16, 2013.

1. franklinshaw

franklinshaw What just happened??

Does anybody have a picture of a rectifier and a condenser for a 1976 xs650. I have a pile of parts and not sure which is which. I've tried to research it but I get pics of several different kinds of each.. Thank in advance fellas!

2. franklinshaw

3. franklinshaw

So is the regulator and rectifier the same part? What exactly is this I have here?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. No, two totally seperate and different items on an XS650. The regulator lives behind your left side cover and "regulates" the amount of current flowing to your battery. The rectifier lives below the battery box and converts AC current from the alternator to DC. Your photo is the flasher relay which lives by the coils under the fuel tank.

Maybe you should consider acquiring a manual. :thumbsup:

roy

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. franklinshaw

ugh! I hate reading tho.... ha!

6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru

Actually, I think that pic is your combo headlight and starter safety relay. It mounts on the right side of the battery box and keeps the starter from running once the motor starts. On later models it also turns the headlight on once the motor starts. On a '76, that won't happen. It may just be a starter relay on yours.

[​IMG]

7. Grinder

Grinder XS650 Guru

Yup, safety relay.

8. franklinshaw

Well im deleting the starter so i won't need this?

9. Grinder

Grinder XS650 Guru

No, but cap off the yellow wire. It comes from the stator on the stock charging systems.