Reg/Rec Replacement

realgoodtexan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
'79 650F Bone Stock

Trying to clean up the battery box and want to switch to a more reliable Regulator Rectifier.

I read 5Twins recommends the AC Delco VR115 for pre 1980 bikes. Does this replace the rectifier also or do I need to buy a separate rectifier?

Yes, you will need a rectifier as well (or continue to use your original). Many of us use this one from Windy Nation .....

https://www.windynation.com/Rectifier/35-Amp-3-Phase-Bridge-Rectifier/-/218?p=YzE9MjA=
working on a '78 XS650E, the rectifier under the battery box is toast - are you saying the one in your link could replace the original one ? - trying to keep all as original as possible thus not really looking to change the system, but obviously the original are not around any longer and i hesitate to buy a used one on eBay.

Yes, it replaces the original perfectly. But, you'll need to build a little bracket for it that can act as a heat sink too. Many just mount it on aluminum plate. I probably went a little overboard, I used an section of heat sink from an old computer .....

Rect.jpg

Rect3.jpg

Rect6.jpg

Back