Reg/rect mystery solved

pbracing14

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All, thought I'd post an update on my regulator/ rectifier upgrade to a combined unit.
As in my previous post, I'd totally rewired my '78E with a simplified loom. I went for a combined reg/rect for later SE models and XJ550/650's etc from ebay, and fitted the nylon screws.

The bike started and ran fine, but there was no alternator output. My previous post questioned whether it was the new unit at fault. Well, I got a refund and bought a similar new unit out of curiosity (they're Chinese - yep you're there already:) ) Still no output.

I've just picked up a used FZ600 unit, and my bike is now charging properly.
So, I'm not too daft with my electrical knowledge, which is nice. But still daft enough to think that buying cheap Chinese items is worth the effort :laugh:

The units weren't marked with any part numbers. I think they're either for pma alternators, or grounded excitable ones. Just don't expect ebay sellers to know either.

Hope my experience helps someone save precious time in the future. Cheers :bike:

Hi All, thought I'd post an update on my regulator/ rectifier upgrade to a combined unit.
As in my previous post, I'd totally rewired my '78E with a simplified loom. I went for a combined reg/rect for later SE models and XJ550/650's etc from ebay, and fitted the nylon screws.

The bike started and ran fine, but there was no alternator output. My previous post questioned whether it was the new unit at fault. Well, I got a refund and bought a similar new unit out of curiosity (they're Chinese - yep you're there already:) ) Still no output.

I've just picked up a used FZ600 unit, and my bike is now charging properly.
So, I'm not too daft with my electrical knowledge, which is nice. But still daft enough to think that buying cheap Chinese items is worth the effort :laugh:

The units weren't marked with any part numbers. I think they're either for pma alternators, or grounded excitable ones. Just don't expect ebay sellers to know either.

Hope my experience helps someone save precious time in the future. Cheers :bike:

pbracing14;

You should have posted these comments on the tail end of your other post. Your other post is just left with no conclusion. That's a common happening on this site..............many threads that never state what the original problem was. I suggest you "copy" this post and "paste" it into your other thread.

I'm glad to hear you got your charging system working properly.

I'm sure you've heard the saying "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". So, you bought cheap junk parts twice, and got burnt twice.

I'm not surprised that the FZ600 parts are working for you. Yamaha OEM parts are always better to buy, as they are high quality parts.

"I'm not surprised that the FZ600 parts are working for you. Yamaha OEM parts are always better to buy, as they are high quality parts."

You got that right. I love my GS850 Suzuki to death, it fits me & runs like a dream, but several times I've wished that Yamaha had done the wiring for them. I do believe 30 year old Yamaha electrics are better than a lot 10 year old stuff from some of the others. Ive pulled connectors apart that looked they were plugged in yesterday. Most of the others you practically have to destroy the corroded, melted plugs.

Thanks RG, will copy this onto my other post. I was in 2 minds, but wasn't sure anyone would look at an old post which they'd already read.

I didn't really get fooled twice as the second time was a case of idle curiosity to see if indeed there is a batch of these listed for the wrong bikes. I'd already determined to buy a used yamaha unit.

By the way is there a consensus if Yamaha electrics are so good, that buying a 30 year old clean used item for $15 is the way to go?

Thanks again for the input :)

Thanks RG, will copy this onto my other post. I was in 2 minds, but wasn't sure anyone would look at an old post which they'd already read.

I didn't really get fooled twice as the second time was a case of idle curiosity to see if indeed there is a batch of these listed for the wrong bikes. I'd already determined to buy a used yamaha unit.

By the way is there a consensus if Yamaha electrics are so good, that buying a 30 year old clean used item for $15 is the way to go?

Thanks again for the input :)

As I see it, there are many Chinese/Taiwan plants producing electrical reproduction type parts. They can build high quality or they can build low quality. If a buyer (such as Mikesxs.com or E-bay people) puts in an order at a low bid price, the factory will make the product, but the quality is on the poor side. Many parts from Mikesxs just don't fit properly or are very poorly made.

The Chinese can make high quality items, if the buyer requests it. An example would be the Foxxcom factory which makes Apple computers/smart phones, etc.

With the Japanese, high quality is part of their culture. They would "lose face" if they build things of poor quality. When I have taken apart electrical items on my bike, I'm always amazed at how well built they are. Its a fact that many of these bikes have been tortured and abused with almost no maintenance over the years. Yet, with the original quality being so high, the bikes have survived.

So yes, in many cases the used Yamaha OEM parts are a better choice. However, even the high quality Japanese parts can become junk, if some E-bay seller is harvesting parts of bikes that have sat out in the rain and snow for 30+ years.

Sadly, paying a premium price doesn't always assure you of quality. I wasted around $100 on a Chinese reg/rec from Electrosport. Yes it had a 1 year guarantee, and no I didn't send it back. All I was guaranteed to get was another of the same, and at that point I didn't trust the product, having spoken to a friend who runs a local indie bike shop; he'd had the same experience with Electrosport components and no longer does business with them. I ate the loss and bought a reg/rec from Rick's Motorsports.

Back