rejetted my carbs....gas started to piss out uni filter

rich_mcd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rejetted my carbs because the plugs were reading rich. I have an '80 xs650 (SG, i believe) stock CDN needles, uni filters, 2-1 exhaust, jets are: pilot= 45, needle is CDN in middle slot (stock) and main is 132.5.

I switched out the mains to 135 and moved the clip up one notch on the needle (leaning it out). Plugs looked a little better but the bike ran terrible. mid range was stumbling and it was hard to keep it running.
Also, the left pod (kickstand side) was leaking fuel. I returned the main and the clip to the needle position and it stopped leaking fuel.

Does it make more sense that the bowl had a piece of something lodged in it from the disassembly or would the new jetting cause the fuel leak?
The bike is running better with the needle back and the main back to stock, would the mixture screws be enough to lean the bike enough for the plugs to read proper?

With all that being said, if it was stumbling in the midrange but the plugs were reading better, would it stand to reason that I could lower the needle (raise the clip) to eliminate the rich plugs and bump the pilot to 47.5 to eliminate the low RPM stumble and bump the main as well to compensate for the leaned out needle?

Can somebody explain the fuel leaking from the pod?

Thanks again

did you inspect float valve seat o ring. I think gggary said he hasn't found a set of 34s not needing that o ring replaced. Otherwise fuel will just flow right past valve and out the carbs.

Have you replaced the fuel lines? Old rubber lines are notorious for sheeding slivers of rubber whan you slide them over the barb fittings. Those slivers just love to hang out in the float valve. Float valve o-rings are a must do item on a new you you bike.

I didn't do the fuel lines, but I will definitely add that to the list. Any idea why it would all of a sudden fix itself when I switched the jetting back. I did the o-rings when I cleaned out the carbs this season.

Would the jetting that I proposed make sense? Up on the main, lean the jet and up the main? Or just play with the mix screws and see if I can get the plugs a little nicer?

Thanks for the input and the suggestions

debris in the needle seat or float stuck in lowered posistion, if it starts leaking fuel tap the bowl, this may free the float, sometimes removing the bowl drain then running a small amount of fuel thru to flush the needle will clear it out if it's gunk in the needle seat

My bet would be something got lodged in the needle seat, keeping the float open. When you opened it back up thinking it might be the jetting, and refitted the old ones, you maybe dislodged it and the leak stopped. It really doesnt take much to get em stuck like that.

Back