Relocate rear shock mounts

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I have this crazy idea. I am looking to do a 2 inch stretch on my swing arm, but i also have an idea to relocate the shock mounts.

What do ya'll think about taking a set of foot peg mounts. The pretty curvy ones, mounting them up in where the standard mounts go, and making them the shock mount. Maybe flipping them and refabing the end to work. Does anyone think with some love and affection this might work? it would allow me to move the mount position back more like the original angle.

Then a good polishing and maybe some clear powder coating. Hey that sounds nice.

The peg mounts are welded to the ends, so I assume I could have the ends added to to make up what i need. yes? no?

I wonder if I could rotate the shock so as to just cut and bend the end out and then thread it? sorry thinking out loud.

When you lengthen the swingarm you're changing the motion ratio dramatically.

Moving a shock mount even 1/4" will make a hudge difference.

How do you plan to lengthen the swingarm?

Posted via Mobile

Well, the fill in method. Cut out a section, add in a piece with a reinforcement piece inside the actual stretch piece. I saw an in-depth video on YouTube that went into great detail about doing it. But! the damn video that I used to trip over is now lost. It was even an xs650.
Anyway, I was going to move the mounting point back the equal distance of the stretch. Not being an engineer I should have been, I figured if I left the angle the same, the function would be the same. The other way I have seen it done is to just angle the shocks steeper and connect to the stock mounting points.
Really other then the angle, I thought it would be a good look for the build. If you know more then me and believe this would be foolish please give me any advice you can. I need it please.

List measurements and I can tell you where and what angle to mount the shock. Take measurements from Centerline of bolt/pivot

Swingman pivot to axle of both stock and extended length
Swingarm pivot to lower shock mount
shock angle
Tire size example 130/60/16

Posted via Mobile

Back