Removing a cross threaded front caliper bleed nipple?

Its been a long time

Doesn't know nothing.
Reaction score
Cross threaded front caliper bleed nipple, it seems. Anyone successfully removed one without breaking it? Thanks.

1000000900.jpg

I've heard it said, "Cross threaded works better than safety wire." Good luck.
It's stuck fast. The brake system hasn't had fluid in it for quite sometime. I suspect this bike has had some front end trauma which has been superficially fixed but the bike not recommissioned. I don't think there's much prospect of removing this and if I do the chances of the pointed bleed nipple end sealing are not good due to the damaged thread. I will try some heat. But I expect a failure on this. I see a new caliper in my future.

Before I managed to free the "stuck" pistons in my front caliper I was considering buying a replacement, the only ones I could find on ebay were in a worse state than the one I've got,new ones are available from Yambits for £109 including pads and pistons as a last resort.

bet it comes out.
apply oil to threads Use a drift, lightly tap on the end of the bleeder straight down and from various angles.
8mm 6 point socket, breaker bar, not ratchet.
BOTH loosen AND tighten a little at a time, Even if it starts to loosen, add more lube, retighten a bit, repeat, till it comes out freely.

bet it comes out.
apply oil to threads Use a drift, lightly tap on the end of the bleeder straight down and from various angles.
8mm 6 point socket, breaker bar, not ratchet.
BOTH loosen AND tighten a little at a time, Even if it starts to loosen, add more lube, retighten a bit, repeat, till it comes out freely.
Thanks very much for the thoughts. 1st prize is awarded to gggGary. Inspired by the idea of using a 6 sided socket, after soaking with WD40, the nipple came out quite easily. The sum total of fluid in the front brake system is less than a teaspoon full of very dirty fluid. The nipple is blocked with rust.

I'm just letting the last few drops of fluid run from the caliper, then I'll run a tap down the bleed nipple hole and see how it shapes up before I strip the caliper.

I guess there's a thread here somewhere about refurbishing a front caliper.

1000000901.jpg

Don't they seal at the bottom at the blunt tip end thru fit and pressure and not by the threads?
Yes. You can see the pointed end of the removed nipple in the picture I just posted. I will clean it all up, retap the thread and see if the nipple seats properly or not before overhauling the caliper.

Fyi... just about any auto parts store here carries a good selection of bleeder screws.... usually less than a buck each. I suspect your UK stores do the same.
I wouldn't try and reuse to one you pulled out.
Yes, I won't be reusing that. Just ordered a complete set of caliper hardware and pads. When it's done, the only parts reused will be the castings.

Same for the master cylinder. Struggling to get the fluid reservoir off the master cylinder body at the moment. I have been tempted to leave it be, but after 47 years the O ring under the plastic reservoir really needs to be changed.

Yes, I won't be reusing that. Just ordered a complete set of caliper hardware and pads. When it's done, the only parts reused will be the castings.

Same for the master cylinder. Struggling to get the fluid reservoir off the master cylinder body at the moment. I have been tempted to leave it be, but after 47 years the O ring under the plastic reservoir really needs to be changed.
Twist, add a bit of brake fluid at the joint to lubricate then pry the exposed corners with flat bars/stiff putty knifes careful to not round mar the mating surfaces..

Just a quick reply to close out this thread and offer what I hope is some useful information for other readers.

After a couple of weeks away from the bike I successfully removed the piston from the front caliper using the grease gun method to extract it. M10 x 1.25 thread grease nipples aren't common but they can be found. I now have a lifetime supply as the minimum I could buy was 20. The removed piston has quite a bit of chrome plating coming off so I've ordered a stainless steel replacement.

Brake caliper rebuild as soon as it arrives.

I had to post this, RE the original thread title/problem.
"removing-a-cross-threaded-front-caliper-bleed-nipple"
It isn't really a problem, it's by design.
The bleeder bore/thread is not made parallel to the casting face.
KIMG5488.JPG KIMG5489.JPG
These are bone stock XS calipers that were stripped and clearcoated.
1704294921563.png
Meant to do this earlier, kinda forgot, your post this morning reminded me.

I had to post this, RE the original thread title/problem.
"removing-a-cross-threaded-front-caliper-bleed-nipple"
It isn't really a problem, it's by design.
The bleeder bore/thread is not made parallel to the casting face.
View attachment 258779 View attachment 258780
These are bone stock XS calipers that were stripped and clearcoated.
View attachment 258781
Meant to do this earlier, kinda forgot, your post this morning reminded me.
Thanks. How very weird. I have never seen anything quite like that before. Anyhow, it looks like I'll have a fully refurbished front caliper by the end of the week.

Back