Removing fork cover

zjcarp15

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the chrome fork cover on my 79? I don't know the exact name of the part but they look like cheap covers with the stock headlight mounting ears on them. I am building a bobber and want to use new headlight mounts that are black but they wont fit over the cover! I'd post a pic but I am away from the bike for a week so if nobody can help I'll reply back with a picture.

If I need to remove the fork I don't know exactly how to do that and couldn't find much on removing the fork. Just threads on rebuilding the fork! Thanks for reading!

It's easiest to do one side at a time remove front wheel and fender. loosen two bolts on lower triple one bolt on upper triple drop the tube. now the ear will come off. replace fork tube and do other side. Note tube should slide out fairly freely and after clean up should slide back in lining up with the hole in the upper triple as you slide it up. If it doesn't want to line up and you have to force it the lower triple is probably bent. while you have it off roll the tube on a flat table, look for bends. Bent forks are common.

Back