New to me XS 650...

Actually, I think that one uses stainless steel pins or rods, a novel approach for sure. That is a very nice tool and I'd get one if they weren't so expensive and I didn't already have a perfectly good ancient Carb Stix (with the mercury).

Actually, I think that one uses stainless steel pins or rods, a novel approach for sure. That is a very nice tool and I'd get one if they weren't so expensive and I didn't already have a perfectly good ancient Carb Stix (with the mercury).
New technology to me. I try to learn something new each day - that box checked. I've just got blue stuff.

That'll be an improvement. Less mechanical noise too probably.
Those carb stix look to still have the "real stuff" in 'em 👍
OMG! OMG! Someone's gonna' die. Kinda' like lead. Yes it's toxic, but people (not you) absolutely freak out at the mere mention of it. I've been in the auto paint business for 50 years, most of it before they took the lead out, and my blood lead level is normal. It's like the special John Stoessel did a few years back "Are We Scaring Ourselves to Death?". O.K. off my soapbox. Glad you got her fixed T.W.

OMG! OMG! Someone's gonna' die. Kinda' like lead. Yes it's toxic, but people (not you) absolutely freak out at the mere mention of it. I've been in the auto paint business for 50 years, most of it before they took the lead out, and my blood lead level is normal. It's like the special John Stoessel did a few years back "Are We Scaring Ourselves to Death?". O.K. off my soapbox. Glad you got her fixed T.W.
Look like mercury but is stainless rods. Very cool tool. Very responsive too.

I have seen the tell-tale staining on my polished left side cover. One carb drain plug is dripping. I shut my petcocks off most of the time if I am stopped more than 5 or 10 minutes. So I do not want to crank on those drain plugs and strip out the threads of those float bowls. Can I anneal those copper washers (cherry red then a water quench) to help seal the float bowl drain?

Yes metal rods. I bought one this year for my water Buffalo. Being a 2 stroke it pulled very low vacuum at idle so conventional gauges and manometers were quite ineffective. The cool thing about the Carbtune is you can turn it upside down and sync your 2 stroke bike in that orientation. In regular mode the vacuum needs to lift the heavy rods. Upside down it has assistance to lift the rods with the built in damping springs.

The carbs; ya'll don't drain the fuel out for the winter storage (therefore they wouldn't be leaking in Dec.)?

And cover 'em up and tuck 'em in and shit?
20221210_191113 (2).jpg

:laugh2::cool:

You keep your bikes inside???
LOL
I never know it was the "last ride" till the salt brine truck has gone by and it's 20 degrees out in the shed.
Just leave the gas on, in spring drain 2 gallons out of the crankcase and boom start the new season with a clean motor. :yikes: :doh: ;)

You ain't drained 'em for the winter yet?
I rode it 2 weeks ago. I had a granddaughter's birthday at my house last weekend. I had the preparations for (get room ready for daughter to stay with us for a few post partum weeks) the newest grandaughter born healthy Tuesday at noonish.

Float levels are JUST below the bowl gasket, put the bike on the side stand and you will get some fuel drool. I suspect that's why some XS owners are so adamant about using the center stand.
I will look into that. I do not have a centerstand so that option is out. The lazy thinking man says "lower the float level and richen the jets" (because of the added lift needed)to solve that problem.

Back