Removing inner-liner from gas tank?

Ironriot

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys I bought a tank off of ebay and it has some sort of inner-liner (Kreem or something like it) in it that's flaking off. Does anyone got any good tips for removing it? I was considering taking it to a radiator shop and having them boil it out. Any thoughts on it?

Also what do you guys think about the POR-15 tank liner? I'd like to make sure this tank won't rust thru. And they claim its impervious to most anything which is wonderful in itself

buy a gallon of MEK from an auto paint supply store. that should strip that kreeme out. fill it up about 1/4 and slosh, wait a bit and slosh some more. Nowadays the ethanol in the gas keeps water from accumulating at the bottom of the tank, so rust through is a problem of the past, so no need to run any more flaking liners.

Yes, but that kreeme was in there for some reason. It may have just had rust, or it may have had some leaks.
If you have a radiator shop in your area let them do it and then have them pressure test it. If not you can use the MEK and then rig up some pressure test system on your own using a compressor or maybe one of those radiator pressure test kits from an auto supply store.

For general rust in tanks I've used a sandblaster with good results. For small leak areas a dab of JB Weld or for many leaks I've had to use kreeme. YMMV.
I've heard good things about POR-15 tank liner but never tried it myself. I think I would try it over kreeme next time I have to do one.

Thanks for the answers guys I appreciate it. I think I may have to go the MEK route. I called the Rad shop that's local and they say they won't boil it out for me(liability reasons????) I bet they won't pressure test it for me either, so this will be another homebrew project

Jim, I bet that Mach 1 is badass. I don't got it sitting in a Mustang, but I am the proud owner of a 428. What a beast of an engine huh?

Be very careful with pressure testing, more than 1-2 psi or so will have you back on fleabay for a new gas tank.

I have used acetone to remove kreem before.... If I was gonna line a tank I would only use por15, it's has always worked the best out of the ones I have tried

Posted via Mobile

Gary, 1-2 psi is all? I had read an article once where it said not to exceed 10 psi! I guess it goes to show that you can't trust everything you read on the internet. Thanks for the tip

Hooligan, I think I'll try that first seeing as I can bum it off my roomie

Ya, just fill up the tank with it, and I let it sit over night, I've had a couple where after I dumped it all out I had to refill Thera k and let it sit one more time to get it all out, so I usually drain it thru a filter so I can reuse it

Posted via Mobile

Well the voice of experience says it doesn't take much air pressure to "unfold" a gas tank. It's been many years and many beers since it happened but I am near certain 10 PSI is gas tank death. I reduced some dents with heat last summer using about the 1 or 2 psi it worked, but not well. Even then I had a ratchet strap wrapped around the tank and snugged up. hmm lets see 10 psi, the tunnel of a gas tank is roughly maybe 1 1/2 square feet or about 250 square inches so at 10 PSI that's 2500 pounds of pressure!

Ah this is an overnight-fill-up-the-tank deal. I need alot more acetone then she has in her nail polish remover bottle haha. Damn my local O'Reilly's, its closes at 7

Gary, well when you put it like that yeah I'm staying at 1-2 psi... Makes me kinda nervous tho. Its an old tank, from the 60's I believe

Last edited:
You can get a POR-15 kit that comes with a 'remover' to get rid of what they refer to as inferior coatings.

Goldy, I just saw that. Hmm makes simple work of it then... Kinda nice seeing as I have to special order a gal of MEK or Acetone or atleast drive seriously out of my way for it... Living in rural Iowa has its downsides

Back