Removing Main Jet BS38

wacko

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey,

I have reviewed the manual as well as the carb guide prepared by members here and am still unsure if I can remove the main Jet on my 79xs from the bottom of the carb without taking it all apart? I think I can, but just wanted to double check before I get a chance to work on it tomorrow.

Thanks

if its a bs38 you can remove the jet by pulling off the brass screw at the bottom of the float bowl, find a small screw driver that will fit up in there with little to no wiggle room in the jet (a flat head screw driver bit for a drill and a wrench works great as well) apply a lot of upward pressure as you rotate the jet counter-clockwise. if the jet is really stuck then just pull off the float bowl and place it on the work bench so you can apply a lot of downward pressure on the jet (it'll help get the jet out with out buggering it up).

what pa23 said and, i went and got 3 cheapo flathead screw drivers. sat down with a main, a pilot, and a mix and ground the flatheads to fit perfectly into the slots. it took about 45 minutes to get them all perfect. it was worth it, nothing is worse than trying to tune your carbs and have one strip out INSIDE the carb.

I use a small knurled bit holder from Sears .....

KnurledBitHolders.jpg

With these, you won't over-tighten the jets which can make them near impossible to get out later without damage to the screw slot.

I use a small knurled bit holder from Sears .....

KnurledBitHolders.jpg

With these, you won't over-tighten the jets which can make them near impossible to get out later without damage to the screw slot.

5twins,

So are you saying to use the bit holder with you fingers to prevent over tightening?

also i got stainless allenhead bolts for the carb top and the float bowl. much easier to get them off with the carbs installed on the bike for changing out pilots or dropping a needle and whatnot.

Yes, the bit holder or even a stubby screwdriver will prevent over-tightening. If you install the jets with the carbs off the bike using some big old screwdriver, you'll never get them out later with the carbs mounted and trying with a stubby or the bit holder. Also, for some reason, jets seem to get tighter after they've been in there a while. Put them in super tight to begin with and you may not even get them out with a big screwdriver later.

When I install jets, I make them tight but not super, super tight. It's kind of a "feel" thing. I tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen the jet several times when 1st installing to get that "feel" for just the right tightness.

Here is a shot of one of my needle jets. It seems kind of coroded. The other one is fine. Can I lightly sand this? Do I need to?

I polish them up with a wire wheel in my Dremel. Yes, you want to clean it some how. What you really need to examine closely is the I.D of the area that you're holding onto. That's where the metering orifice is and if it's eaten away and corroded, the jet will now be too big and run rich.

Back