Removing Powder coat from machined surfaces (frown)

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well I don't have to take credit for this but I have some powder coat to remove. :doh:
I have to get the sprocket surface and one front rotor surface clean. Good news is the drum was pretty well masked. Got any ideas?

Picked these up with new tires and tubes, The front has before and after pics, sharp eyes will know why. Rear is now despoked for reasons the picture reveals, should have it back together today pending powder coat removal from the spocket/hub surface.

wheels 004 (Copy).JPG wheels 005 (Copy).JPG

wheels 002 (Copy).JPG wheels 003 (Copy).JPG

wheels 006 (Copy).JPG wheels 001 (Copy).JPG

That last pic is a set of KTM hubs with brand spankin' new 19-2.15, 18-2.50 sun rims, Buchanon spokes and Sport Demons I am adapting to XS650 use :wink2:

I'm assuming you are having trouble with both the flat surface that forms the mounting surface for disks and sprockets as well as the shoulder they must fit over.

I ruined a set of front disk brake calipers because of power coat in the area around the fitting for the brake hose. Could never get it flat enough or smooth enough to seal even with copper washers. Damm power coat.

What about removing spokes and throw them into a lath and gently machining back down to original surfaces?

Yeah, I am thinking you are right, I think I can get the front hub chucked on my lathe. Damn, I wish I didn't re-spoke the front last night.......... I'll have to check if the rear hub will clear the ways. Just found the bearing spacer is missing from the sprocket side in the rear and two rear spokes have the wrong hub bend. :banghead: Good thing it's February.

Never EVER trust the PO, tapped the brand new rear wheel bearings out, hat spacer WAS in there, BACKWARDS! Bearings were no where near "home". I have that back together correctly now. Got the sprocket seat cleaned up, cut slots in an old sprocket with a cut off wheel and "lathed" and razor bladed the powder coat away. Tried a heat gun to soften it on the front hub, no joy there. Guess I will have to de-spoke it and turn the powder coat off those faces.

Just in the process of doing re-spoke on a front and rear for a RE5, some will have no idea what that is, for a friend.

He bead blasted the hubs and then polished them out. Looked great.

Told him to get new bearings.

Good thing, because he didn't plug the holes for the disk mounts on the front wheel and the hub was full of grit.

How long would those bearings last with that stuff rolling around inside?

Rear bearings let enough grit by to lock up the bearings.

It's all about the prep work isn't it?

Anyway, I told him 30 years old wheel bearings should always be replaced after doing all his other fine work.

I have had really good luck with a small die grinder and rolock (sp?) pads peels the powder coat right off, the pads you can usually get Anywhere from harbor freight to the snap on truck. Good luck!

So they didn't grind off all the extra spoke that would have been sticking out from the first front wheel lace job? Looks like it would have been tough to get the nipples tightened far enough the way it was laced.

Ding ding ding. We have winner! Yeah that wasn't such a great pattern. Fortunately he quit before doing damage. Bonus points; the reason for fail on the rear? These wheels and some other stuff, just turned into 72 and 79 stock paint jobs.

Back