repaint my tank question

doubletrouble

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last spring i was working on my bike i had the tank off and it tipped a little and gas leaked out of the fill cap and took some paint off. I'm about to approach a local shop about painting the tank and i'm wondering what i should ask for? I want the original new ruby red paint color but i don't know whats the best type of paint is and on top of what type of primer. number of clearcoats? and anything else? I want the best!!! should i srtip off old paint to save a few bucks?
any help would be much appreciated!
Merry Christmas to all my xs friends!!!
DT

I'm about to approach a local shop about painting the tank

I think the best place to get your questions answered is at the shop. Suggestions you get someplace else might not go well with the equipment the shop has, how they work, and so on. You can also ask them what part of it you can do yourself to save a few bucks. Maybe there's a paint code for New Ruby Red that you can find and give them, but it's possible they could just look that up themselves. If you have side covers, probably want to do them at the same time.

Don't touch the tank. Take it to the shop as is and they can match the paint.secondly the paint should be a good base/clear.make sure they strip the tank to bare metal and start fresh. Cost should be around $200-300 range. Any cheaper than that and I'd question the quality of material being used.

Thanks for the input and advice! xjwmx-great find with the paint match! i'm wondering if anyone has ever used the "ColorRite" product. Pete have u ever painted the new ruby red color?

Last edited:
I have used Color-Rite once before, on a ZX-10 I painted. As for the Ruby red . . to which exact red are you referring ? I've painted many many reds over the years :)

Back