Rephase crank in Australia

Rod Watts - (02)6968 4562 after 7pm.

Also a club member and he Races XS650's and builds his own rephased cranks. He will be able to point you in right direction for the cam as well.

Cheers for that, I'll give them a bell :thumbsup:
Really want to get it done by Hugh but freight to and from I could get the crank done 3 times for the cost!
Sometimes sux being an isolated country

I'm in Hervey Bay and will be offering these services, currently setting up the shop and planning to commence in the new year.

Good to know! When you get your shop sorted I'll have to check you out. I'm doing my bike up in a shed in the sunny coast so I'm not too far from you

nice set up ,wondering if you will be doing any cam grinds as well ,already have a rephrased cam but will be after a rephrase on the crank and maybe a grind (shell 1) on my rephrased cam sometime next yr ,I'm nth qld

any suggestions on who does cam grinding at a reasonable price and can you pm me a price on the the crank rephrasing for when you get started...thanks

Will keep you in mind hotdog, we need someone good to do rephases in Australia

There have been people doing good rephrasing in Australia for more years than Hughs Handbuilt has been in business.

I have been putting people onto Rod watts for some time now, when posters from Aus have asked for some local help with reasonable rates, and his prices are very good. An experienced XS650 Engine builder who has built many rephased cranks.

Good for you Hotdog. What will be your basic price for a rephase and what is your procedure going to be when you get a crank. Eg; Will you completely dismantle, fully weld the crank pins inside and out or tack weld. What is the press ton required to reasemble the crank?

Hotdog, if that mills head angles or a jig ,you could easily D port your heads within a few thous of each port and nice set up you got going on.

How much dose rod watts charge? Iv only heard of one people who dose rephases in Australia so this is all news to me

Posted his phone no in post #3.

He advertises in the Aussie XS650 Club news letter. Give him a ring is best.

Agree completely skull, lots of great builders in Australia that know how to build up great motors.
Why send your parts to the u.s. to be rebuilt..? Crazy, but people believe the propaganda and think it's the place to get the world's best....?
I'm sure u.s. based builders do a good and thorough job and a lot of todays builders still had and have great flat track results, but to wipe the floor with everyone else to proclaim to be the world's best..?

Not trying to start something here but look at what others have done - Jerry Heiden, what about the French and Belgian sidecarcross builders with their 1000cc xs motors. Our own Matt Moloney and his sidecar motors.

Last edited:
Back