rephased PAMCO experts needed.

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok trying to get this thing fired up. Every time i attempt to kick it over it almost immediately kicks back. i have correct power going to everything. Im just wondering what may be happening here. one possible question is whether my coils are hooked to the right circuit.

right now my right cylinder is hooked up to the right circuit on the PAMCO
left cylinder is hooked up to the left circuit on the PAMCO. (this cylinder is at TDC). also the magnets on the pamco are side by side like the first picture on the PAMCO Instruction website..

hi i,d try getting in touch with hugh.......as he rephases cranks ,,,,,i think he,s got a rephased bike,,,,, or email pete ... i have found pete toooooo be great ... regards oldbiker

jeepguy,

You have to "walk" the engine through all four cycles for each piston / cylinder. There are no shortcuts. There are 16 ways to install the 277 ignition and only one of them is right.

As you walk the engine through each of the four cycles for each cylinder, look at the pics posted in the on line instructions and observe when each cylinder is at its firing point and where the trigger magnet is for that cylinder on the PAMCO.

I know you are anxious to get the engine going, but you have to be patient. If I was there to help you, I would do the walk each piston routine myself.

ok went outside and walked the engine around. as far as i can tell it is functioning exactly when it is supposed to. With left cylinder at TDC of the compression stroke the left magnet is right at the black thing on the circuit( I'm sure it is not called the black thing nut) as i rotate the engine through the 4 cycles(power, exhaust, intake, back to compression) the magnet is again at the black thing on the left circuit.

Watching the right cylinder:
With the left cylinder back at TDC .... the right cylinder begins its compression stroke as it reaches TDC the left magnet is now at the black thing on the right circuit, starts to go down on the power stroke and continues to exhaust, intake.

It seems to me like it is installed correctly. but you are the pro any ideas?

There is no 'first' to fire. The first to fire will be the one that happens to be in position to fire first each time you start it.

I just did my Pamco 277. I did find upon initial installation that the timing was fairly retarded, with the plate about in the middle of the adjustment area. I had to rotate it pretty much all the way to get the firing as close to the T and F marks as possible at idle and advanced. Going to be going over it again but mine fired up 2nd kick the first time I tried.

It did take me a few trial-and-error positioning of the advance rod and magnet disc to get things lined up, and I like you walked through the firing sequence on both cylinders.

Did you mark your rotor with TDC of the right cylinder, just for convenience? And did you measure and confirm true-TDC on both cylinders using a piston-stop?

My engine kicks back a bit when trying to start once in a while, but it's a 750cc kit with ported head, enlarged titanium valves and a Shell #1 cam grind (MrRiggs cam) and the 'big green coils' from MikesXS. So I expect it to be a little mean.

Got any pics?

You rotate the plate clockwise to advance the firing, as the engine rotates counter-clockwise. Basically moves the sensor on the plate to meet the magnet earlier in the rotation.

This doesn't change with running a Pamco vs stock points ignition - you should make sure you're familiar with timing your engine - the basics in the manual, as the principles all apply here.

You also need to confirm your tappets are adjusted properly.

I just did my Pamco 277. I did find upon initial installation that the timing was fairly retarded, with the plate about in the middle of the adjustment area. I had to rotate it pretty much all the way to get the firing as close to the T and F marks as possible at idle and advanced. Going to be going over it again but mine fired up 2nd kick the first time I tried.

Try loosening the PAMCO rotor and the slotted disk on the right side, then hold the rotor in the counterclockwise position as you tighten the nuts back. This will give you all the free play available in the advance direction.

Try loosening the PAMCO rotor and the slotted disk on the right side, then hold the rotor in the counterclockwise position as you tighten the nuts back. This will give you all the free play available in the advance direction.

Will do that and see how much more wiggle room I get out of the plate :)

Worked like a charm on my inaugural 75 mile ride on the engine (not counting the around-the-block test spin). Got home and dumped the oil out of the engine and replaced with new oil/filter. Going to finish breaking it in and then off to the dyno for proper carb tuning.

Tim,

OK. Be sure to check other possibilities, especially a loose timing chain or movement of the advance plate due to a loose locating pin etc.

Back