Rephasing the cam shaft.

I appreciate everyone's support, as always... Mr.Riggs does some really nice work as well, and seeing as how I've used his products before, I have nothing but good things to say about his work.

If I've offended some, I'm sorry, but I gotta keep a few for myself to enjoy every now and then :thumbsup:

Srinath, If you need help, drop on into the shop. I'll be glad to help you rephase the cam either direction. We can even try a new method if you wanna give it a shot... I'm game for all of it!

Thanks man, its not going anywhere till maybe october, I'm going to be having too much fun riding the sv, the MZ, the virago and the GS'es this summer. An accident ruined my summer last year, this year that blasted thing isn't happening. BTW I rode the sv monday, nearly became part of "hurricane srinath" :yikes:

BTW I also have a GR that is getting the first flat track treatment. It works like I want it to, and I'm going to be ecstatic.
Cool.
Srinath.

Yes you are right. And a good help he has been as well.

Punkskalar, I admire the dedication put into the welded Cam. It is something a few have tried and not mastered. It is skill that cannot be taught, you have to have it before hand and if it was easy it would have been done before. I guess that is why i thought it wouldn't matter if you told people how to.

There are a few reasons I don't share my methods. First off, I broke about 3-5 camshafts (maybe more, I quit counting :laugh:) trying to perfect my methods. Some broke on the bench, and several exploded on the highway. There is ALOT of work that goes into them of course, but the welding is extremely tedious to get proper. And the Welding is the LAST part of alot of tedious steps to get right. I could show it all, and if someone tried my methods and failed, they could be out an entire engine. I don't want that floating on my shoulders. I have given advice via email to those seriously interested in tackling it themselves, mostly overseas customers. 2nd, not everyone has access to the machinery, and welding equipment to make this possible, along with the ability to operate those machines and equipment properly. Trust me, you CAN'T do this with a hand drill and a MIG welder :laugh:

Plainly put, sharing all the information and then having folks with more ambition than skill blow up a bunch of motors would leave a bad taste in their mouth for rephased engines, and I'm a firm believer that EVERYONE should experience a rephased engine. Yeah, I make a few bucks doing this, but I get more enjoyment out of folks building their own engines and having a grin from ear to ear when its all done.

So keep on making kickass bikes guys, thats what its all about!

I'll probably get shot for saying this ... I want to rephase and run the xs and compare it to my stock GR. I think the gr will wipe the floor with the rephase also. The way tha tmotor revs when the 2 stage flywheel dis engages is something else. I am nearly certain people got intimidated by that Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde thing it has going on in the days where bikes weighed 300 tonnes and made 35 hp. This guy weighed less than an xs 650 and made more power than a virago 750. It also made a ton of low down torque. It went from torquey twin to revvy 4 @ 5K rpm.
Cool.
Srinath.

If you want the XS to rev then figure out how to fit one of these little cranks in there.

Destroke01.jpg

This is on my long term project list.

What crank is that ? lightened xs ?
I mean the redline on a gr is 9K, I wont rely on the xs stock parts like the rockers and valves to hold up that high. The GR is shim over bucket, similar to a GS500 which redlines @10.5. There is one guy by my house that built a 851 out of the GR650 and stuffed it in a GS500 frame. Can you say sleeper ...

Cool.
Srinath.

Lots of folks say the bottom end is the weak link, but all my failures have been in the top end when pushing really high rpms. I've split valve keepers, broken valve springs, stretched cam chains, cracked valves etc... All on the same bottom end (welded of course) I am convinced the rephased bottom end is more likely to hold up than the stock configuration.

The bottom end is built like a tank if you ask me. Top end is not. This bottom end may be the strongest ever I've seen on a bike. The only one I'd even put in the same league is a savage 650, but its top end is even worse than the xs.
Cool.
Srinath.

I thought we were talking about durability. Not performance. On that front, the 8K the xs can rev to will easily be met by the stock head.
Cool.
Srinath.

I thought we were talking about durability. Not performance. On that front, the 8K the xs can rev to will easily be met by the stock head.
Cool.
Srinath.

I'll probably get shot for saying this ... I want to rephase and run the xs and compare it to my stock GR. I think the gr will wipe the floor with the rephase also. The way tha tmotor revs when the 2 stage flywheel dis engages is something else. I am nearly certain people got intimidated by that Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde thing it has going on in the days where bikes weighed 300 tonnes and made 35 hp. This guy weighed less than an xs 650 and made more power than a virago 750. It also made a ton of low down torque. It went from torquey twin to revvy 4 @ 5K rpm.
Cool.
Srinath.

Your original comment was comparing the performance of your GR to the XS.

Hi dude just read ur thread.I have rephrased a xs been running its brill.Had an oil leak from base .stripped it.bike was running OK.I found 3 of the outer valve springs broken. What's the cause .and is there a remedy.

Back