Replaced head pipes & muffler now bike won't idle

TimMac

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello

So I wanted to get some advice before I try to fix this myself and most likely make things worse.
I just replaced my head pipes with the exact same system I had, which is the 17" reverse cone mufflers with stock head pipes cut down about 6".
The old head pipes were 38mm and I replaced them with 34mm. I also replaced the rear turn signals and added a ground to the front turn signals, let the bike sit for 2 weeks and today took it out for a spin. After about 5 or 6 kicks it started and was idling fine, about 3km into the ride I gave it a little to pass a parking car and now it wont idle at all, starts but wont idle, I had to keep the rpms up with the throttle to get it back home.

I'm running Mikuni TM34 flat slides with 25 pilot jets (I think)

Any advice where I should check first to figure out the issue?
The battery is at 15v and is less than 6 months old.

I've attached some photos and a link to a video while I keep it at 900 - 100 rpm with the throttle.
https://jumpshare.com/v/n4vY1QVOP0ViKQceAInQ

Thanks!

IMG-1543.JPGIMG-1538.JPG IMG-1539.JPG IMG-1542.JPG IMG-1543.JPG

I am no carburetor expert and don't know that type
But usually there is an adjustment screw for increasing the idle .rpm
That would be the first thing I would try
Counting the turns on the adjuster so it can be set back if no solution

With a fast change to idle I'd suspect a chunk of junk in an idle circuit. Idle for a bit low as possible spray a bit of water on the exhausts will reveal which side has the problem. but could be junk on a valve seat, carbs out of sync, two cables? or an ignition problem.

As long as you're looking around, check to make sure the rubber carburetor mountings are where they ought to be. A "sneeze" can be enough to loosen the carburetor from the mount resulting in a vacuum leak....................

I am no carburetor expert and don't know that type
But usually there is an adjustment screw for increasing the idle .rpm
That would be the first thing I would try
Counting the turns on the adjuster so it can be set back if no solution

Yep I did attempt that when it happened but not so lucky

With a fast change to idle I'd suspect a chunk of junk in an idle circuit. Idle for a bit low as possible spray a bit of water on the exhausts will reveal which side has the problem. but could be junk on a valve seat, carbs out of sync, two cables? or an ignition problem.

The RHS pipe is yellowish & purple and the left pipe is more yellow, so I'm guessing it's the left hand side.
Theres two cables for the carbs and I haven't set the sync on them for a while. Sounds like I should be checking the ignition, checking the valves, then cleaning and syncing the carbs.

Back