Replacement for Ignitor box

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can't seem to locate the correct ignitor box for my 82' Special ... what I have is one that has been modified with no blue tag... corner cut off and plugged in... it works... but I'd like to get the correct unit... I see Mike's Xs sells a Eletronic igitron..... would this be a good replacement... reliable... ? Thank you 😎

Attachments

• Project Xs motor done.jpg
    Project Xs motor done.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 33
Just say no to Mikes replacement! Go for the Gonzo box. You can get two of them on Amazon for under $35.

Just search “Gonzo.” There will be nothing to going back to an OE box if you do it this way. Gonzo is a Suzuki GN250 TCI, IIRC.

Once the wifey punches the old time clock.... I'll have her snag two of these units... does anyone make the conjunction wires on this forum ? I read the attached gonzo instructions and the follow up U tube ..... I'm a few weeks away from post re-fresheration on my 82;.... and would like to have this on hand for first fire up.... have a spare .... thanks for the tip ..... it's a 8 plug in unit with 7 prongs... I hope it runs well.... my buddy and I are kick'n either the Ozark.s or Peoria TT's.... last time we did Peoria.. major wash out.... 😎

If you're interested I can sell you a guaranteed good original TCI. But, out of curiosity, Id like to see the "modifications" that were made to yours. PM me if interested.

Here's what's on my 82' now... no blue tag. I'm electronical challenged .... if I put batteries in a flashlight and the light comes on.... " Genius "... :laugh2:

Attachments

• Project Xs ignitor mod.jpg
    Project Xs ignitor mod.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Project Xs igntior mod 1.jpg
    Project Xs igntior mod 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 27
Here's what's on my 82' now... no blue tag. I'm electronical challenged .... if I put batteries in a flashlight and the light comes on.... " Genius "... :laugh2:
If I'm not mistaken, your TCI box is from a 1980 bike. 1980 models did not have clutch and sidestand interlocks. 1981 got the clutch interlock. For '82, they added the sidestand.

If you want to, you can change the 8 pin on the bike to a 6 pin and then both versions of the TCI (6 & 8 pin) will plug right in.
I've run both the 6 and 8 in my '80SG... works fine.

The extra pin is for the sidestand down switch. Not using it won't hurt a thing.

I'll get the 8.. and keep the 6 as a saddle bag spare... May try that " gonzo " kit. I had a Boyer on my 77' years ago.. it was great for about 5 years... then one day... " poof "... Wt? I was a pedestrian ... 😎

Back