Replacing rubber on gear shifter:

Reaction score
I Ordered a new rubber for my gear shifter, is there an easy way to remove the bad rubber:shrug: or just cut off the old one (I know this is probably a dumb question):yikes:
I just don't want to mess anything up:doh:

Well you don't care so rip it off but if you do need to reuse the part, spray silicone does wonders for removal of rubber parts. shoot it in work the part around a bit and off it comes. To install rubber parts I prefer silicone grease that comes in a tube NAPA carries a nice size squeeze tube for about $4-$6. Great for electrical connections too.

Foot peg rubber mounts, turn signal grommets, cable boots makes install easy and I think it helps protect the rubber too.

Put old rubber parts in boiling water for a few minutes, the will be soft again (for a while)

To put on new rubber parts, better not use oil. It works fine when you use a little brake cleaner or petrol.

if you ordered a mike's replacement rubber, you might keep your eyes open for an OEM replacement. I purchased one and it lasted about 3-6 months before it split in half at the seam and ended up on the road somewhere.

I happened to find one on a XS850 part bike that was in decent shape and it seams like the original rubber of these things is a much harder durometer and much more resistant to wear. My guess is that if you check the part #, many years and/or bikes use the same part.

Had the same experience with replacement foot peg rubbers - they wore very quickly and were much softer rubber. Found an NOS set on ebay and they have lasted much better.

Back