restoration complete?? MOT in sweaty hand!

john650

retired mathsteacher..yay
Reaction score
First short ride today on the restored XS650, to the MOT station.
(Last time out it was probably annoying New York residents, now its waking up the babies in Barton on Sea; UK). Haha.......ain't life wonderful!
Sounds really good on its original exhaust pipes! and handles better than expected on its original shocks. I CAN NOW SEE WHY PEOPLE LIKE THESE BIKES

I am pleased to say that it passed its MOT, and the next stage is to get it UK registered at the sunny Bournemouth office.

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in photographs because it looks standard, but I hope you didn't mind me sharing my complete joy that the little swine is, for the time being,:bike: running properly!

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in photographs because it looks standard, but I hope you didn't mind me sharing my complete joy that the little swine is, for the time being,:bike: running properly!

Congratulations and post the pics! I like standards, (and Specials,too)!

ttwp.gif

Congrats for getting R on the road! I'm beavering away on a 79 special this week.

fantastic news John , well done!.:thumbsup: lucky beggar...

I'm months off getting mine ready for the MOT. I was aiming for 1st week in April

I'd like to see some pictures please if you have some. It might spur me on to get mine completed . I also have US import , a 79 2F

Tried to add some pictures, don't know if it worked.:wtf:

Yes!!!
The key fob might be a clue as to its previous owner in New York ?

Attachments

• xs650 013.jpg
    xs650 013.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 187
  • xs650 011.jpg
    xs650 011.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 171
  • xs650 016.jpg
    xs650 016.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 187
  • xs650 018.jpg
    xs650 018.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 186
  • xs650 017.jpg
    xs650 017.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 168
  • xs650 019.jpg
    xs650 019.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
that looks amazing !:yikes:

You must have been up nights polishing everything. ? how much work did you actually have to do ?

I'm so jealous :(

that looks amazing !:yikes:

You must have been up nights polishing everything. ? how much work did you actually have to do ?

I'm so jealous :(

To be fair it wasn't a basket case when I bought it, in fact it looked quite nice,but looks can be deceiving. The engine ran but had a horrendous piston rattle on the right cylinder (oil starvation had made the piston to nip up), and it bogged when the throttle was opened. The front brake was running on what looked like jelly with peanuts in. The swingarm had a lot of play. The carbs and fuel tank were leaking.
The tyres and tubes were filled with slime, and the electrics were intermittant.The engine sump filter had a large hole, and the starter bendix would not engage.

New parts:-
Front brake seals, tyres and tubes, rear indicators and lenses (they were red),fuel tank seals, swing arm needle bearings, regulator/rectifier, Boyer ignition,headlight (dipped wrong way),seat-cover, handlebar mounting rubbers, clutch cable, oil-filters, barrels, pistons, camshaft, camchain, rocker arms and valve springs, gaskets, various bolts, smooth hammerite paint cans, polish!

Work involved:- I got my local motorcycle shop to fit the barrels and pistons, camchain and rockers, but did all the other bits myself, with help from this forum.

Work needed when cash permits:- new throttle cables, and better battery.

Yeah we always love to see bikes lookin' THAT good! Great example of a great year.

thats a lot of work in a short space of time John. It seems like only last week you told us that you had bought it.
I must admit it does really please me to see an XS kept original for a change.

I bought mine with the engine in bits so I've no idea why the po decided to strip it.! It only has 18k on it allegedly . I can't see anything obviously wrong with it except some rust pitting on the small end pins and on the crank where the oil seal sits. I've just taken the worst off with some emery.

I have some black slimy gunge in my reservoir too ! :thumbsup: plus some interesting crystaline stuff on the outside too..... yuk....

I wish now that I had used a local bike builder to reassemble my engine , its sat on the bench for over 2 months now . Your thread has really fired me up though so this weekend its going to be put back together for sure.

I just can't wait until I'm riding it down to the local garage for its MOT.:bike:

Well done on an excellent job, we should have a UKmeet some time. Theres a Japfest at Haynes Museum this September .

Peanut; Good luck with your rebuild.
Yes the bike came together (too) quickly really, but don't forget that I am retired now so have loads of time to avoid decorating the house and spend in the garage instead.
Plus, I actually threw quite a lot of money at this, and that cuts out quite a bit of buggering about with scrap parts; lets hope it stays reliable!

I have managed to get it registered at Bournemouth yesterday, so am just waiting for the paperwork to come back, so I can get a number plate made. I am so looking forward to a proper long ride in the New Forest.

I had the clocks off it today because the rubbers were perished. They are obsolete now, but I managed to make some more from 1/4 inch rubber sheet.

I would be up for a meet in the future, after all we would have so much to discuss!

thanks for your support John.

It was your description of your MOT ride that finally fired me up and made me make a start on my bike.

The engine bits have been strewed all around the conservatory for 3x months now as I tried to muster up the confidence to close the cases and finish the rest of the build. Like you I am retired but a full time carer for my Father. Lucky I have an understanding partner !

There are lots of little critical bits and adjustments during the engine reassembly that do not appear in the manuals and are probably the cause of many woes, like the missing washer behind the clutch :eek:

Good luck with the registration docs ,hope they come through quickly.:thumbsup:

The New Forest is a wonderful place to live its not too far from South Somerset. There is the Japfest coming up in September at Haynes Museum , perhaps you can make it ?

Let me know how your first legal run goes ,it will sustain my enthusiasm to finish mine.

Back