Restoration of an XS1

yamasarus, you did a brilliant job! Your XS1 truly looks about as close to showroom as it gets these days. Are the instruments OEM? The rubber surrounds and red line (on your tach) look different than any I've seen on an XS1 or 2.

Anyroads, congratulations!

I looked for an XS1 to restore for about 5 years. I finally found one that I could afford in Florida (I live in NC). It had a 75 front end, wheels, and tank, but the numbers matched and were correct for an XS1. It was also a later production number so I avoided the needle bearing on the piston pin. I started finding the parts I would need and spent about a year doing that.

Many parts I already had , like the NOS instruments. The first step after disassembly was to send the fenders, rims, rear fender bracket, handlebar and bracket, and chain-guard to the chrome plater. All body parts were stripped and readied for paint. The frame was blasted, etch primed and painted with single stage black. All other paint is House of Kolor Kandy or white with plenty of clear. I have never cared much for the original green so I went two coats darker on the Kandy to get what you see here. Every component was freshened up or replaced. Most of the nuts and bolts were replaced with polished stainless. The engine was also disassembled and freshened up as necessary. Upgrades like tapered neck bearings and fresh swing arm bushings were also done. A reproduction exhaust system from Mikes XS was used. The correct taillight, correct K70s, chrome spokes, oring chain, and lots of polishing aluminum were also added. It's as close to a "new" XS1 as I could make it. All work, to include paint, polish, tin-zinc plating, and lacing was done by me. The only thing I send out is chrome work. I really enjoyed this restoration as an XS1 was my first "big bike"back in the day. I am retired and the whole job took 8 weeks. Fun stuff!

Wow, only 8 weeks to restore it.
I spent 2 years building my XS1 part by part.
Mine is listed for sale.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3223830669.html
Paint work was done by Mark Tomlinson.
Im almost done building my 2nd xs1b right now, im just an exhaust system, strator and seat away from finishing it. :)

yamasarus, you did a brilliant job! Your XS1 truly looks about as close to showroom as it gets these days. Are the instruments OEM? The rubber surrounds and red line (on your tach) look different than any I've seen on an XS1 or 2.

Anyroads, congratulations!

These instruments are new original Yamaha units. They have a 256 prefix on the part number and were used on the 70 and 71 years only. The 72 went to the rubber surrounds and the part number prefix was 306. The 256 was superseded to the 306. I bought these XS1 units years ago in anticipation of one day needing them. It was a wise investment.

Thanks very much for your kind words.:bike:

Back