Rethinking Loud Pipes Save Lives

"Hernandez said such irresponsible behavior is a real problem for states like San Luis Potosi, where drug-gang gunbattles have terrorized residents in recent years."

Hernandez says loud exhaust is a problem where there are drug gang gun battles. :laugh:

You know, if North American hadn't been settled by the English it would be just like Central and South America; something to ponder.

Once upon a time, many (many) years ago, we had a Toyota company van, a carburettor Hi-Ace, while driving you could a) turn ignition off b) pump the accelerator pedal vigorously c) turn ignition back on, what followed was a bang that did sound like a gunshot (didn't do the truck much good but what the hell it was a company truck).
A favourite place to do this stunt was around Parliament House in the Capital, and sometimes right outside an Embassy, any one would do, the old USSR was a favourite:)

As young blokes it was a laugh, nowadays we wouldn't get away with it, much akin to mentioning the word "bomb" while waiting in the departure lounge, life was simpler then.

As for loud pipes I do believe they save lives, ours, nothing like a good braaap to wake the tin top jockeys up.

It`s getting that bad down south...Reminds me of a Mazda RX2 I had...When you shut it off about 30 seconds later there was a loud backfire...I scared people everywhere with that car.

Yep, rotaries will do that occasionally. I was running my rotary Spitfire at an AX once, I killed the ignition after a run and coasted in gear. About 20 seconds later it let loose with a backfire that scared the shit out of me because it happened right next to the drivers' seat with only 20 ga sheet metal to damp the sound. The funniest part: there was a city cop watching the festivities and when it went 'bang' he slapped his right hand on his pistol, I guess he thought he'd been shot at. :laugh:

when it went 'bang' he slapped his right hand on his pistol, I guess he thought he'd been shot at. :laugh:

Ha! Once I was in the woods with my bike and I was kicking it and there was a loud BANG! which sounded exactly like a pistol. About that time a forest ranger came walking out of the woods and I was sure he'd discharged his pistola accidentally moments before. He was a general ass and I thought about writing his superiors about his pistol discharging. A few weeks later the bike did it again and I realized what it was :)

loudpipes.jpg

^Ha ha! That actually puts it in perspective a little bit. And then there's the shirt that says "Loud pipes save annoying people's lives."

Love that shirt!!! :laugh:

Way back in the Dark Ages of the 1970's, my buds and I all rode Honda 70's, 100's, 125's etc. they were all point ignition and you could always tell when the points were closing up: chop the throttle for a turn and be rewarded with a helluva backfire. It was known as 'shooting crows'. That meant it was time to pull over to the side of the trail and set the point gap with a matchbook cover.

Love that shirt!!! :laugh:

Way back in the Dark Ages of the 1970's, my buds and I all rode Honda 70's, 100's, 125's etc. they were all point ignition and you could always tell when the points were closing up: chop the throttle for a turn and be rewarded with a helluva backfire. It was known as 'shooting crows'. That meant it was time to pull over to the side of the trail and set the point gap with a matchbook cover.

Back in the day, North Carolina had 16 and 17 year old school bus drivers. We were notorious for cutting off the engines and coasting down hill with the bus in gear. Get near the bottom, turn the switch back on and BOOM!!!

There goes another muffler...

Or putting food coloring in the windshield washer bottles of another driver's bus....

But you know, despite the pranks we had a better safety record than adult school bus drivers in NC have ever had.

Back