reuseing pistons?

b1broc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a set of pistons that I pulled out of a motor and they are really nice. I was wondering if i could, reuse the pistons, ive seen people cleaning and getting off all the carbon and shineing them up like new. Has anyone done this? or any thoughts? if i put new rings on them??

did you get the bores miced? if all it needs is a hone, then yes you can re-use them (provided they arent scuffed up to shit etc.) and put new rings on. My 74 was just a re-ring with new stem seals. my 75 is 3rd over pistons and rings.

If they arent from the same motor, i wouldnt use them.

This motor is stock bore one sleeve has a little rust so i guess i will have to see if they clean up the slee es that is the pistons look nee no scuffs. Any horse power or real significant gain to running say a new wizeco flat top pistons.

pistons simlply need to be the right size, thats all. id take the jugs and pistons to a machinest and have them measured, if they are in spec your good to go. specs found in manual. cheers

Posted via Mobile

There is a number stamped on top of the piston. This is the fractional part of it's size, as in 74.XXXmm. There is a number stenciled on the side of the cylinder sleeve where it hangs out the bottom of the block. This is the fractional part of the bore size, as in 75.XXXmm. Subtract piston size from bore size and you should get something in the .050-.055mm range. Now, this is the minimum, best clearance and was this way when the parts were new. Obviously, things will be different now that the parts are used.

Measuring the bores yourself is pretty hard but a close visual inspection can give you a good idea of their condition. You want to see very little, if any, vertical scraping and nothing you can actually feel. Measuring the pistons is easier. Mic the skirts about 1/2" up from the bottom, front to rear. Subtract that from the stenciled bore size for a general idea of wear. Granted, clearance will probably be a bit more than your math indicates because of bore wear. However, the bores generally wear less than the pistons because they're harder.

Mine was pretty close to the wear limit but I decided to just do a hone w/ new rings. I'm going into my 5th season now on it and it runs fine. Compression is very good, right up around 150. I will probably tear it down again sometime in the next couple years and this time, it will get bored. All in all, I'm quite happy with the service I've gotten out of just a ring replacement.

I remember a trick I read once to measure bores: take a piston ring and slide it into the bore, measure the end gap at different places in the bore. The difference in your measurements divided by pi equals the difference in bore diameter. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I have a lot more confidence in that trick than I did trying to use Harbor Freight bore gauges and a digital caliper to measure them. The rings can't conform to every little imperfection, and give you no information about whether you are out of round, which is why the visual inspection is important.

I've reused pistons many times. You need to check the various diameters against specs and make sure the skirt to bore clearance is correct, if it's not the engine will 'clank' badly when cold and sometimes even when hot. Also check the ring grooves, sometimes they will get a 'keystone' shape that will cause new rings to fail pretty quickly. Also make sure the oil return holes in the bottom of the oil ring groove are clean, I have seen them clogged with sludge.

Hi guys, great discussion. Is a hone absolutely necessary or only if the cylinder is scored beyond normal scuffing. I've rebuilt dirt bike top ends (2t and 4t) and never been advised to hone the cylinder unless there was a problem.

Honing will help your rings to seat properly. Could you get by without honing? Maybe, but it's not recommended. A hone from the local auto parts store, a little light weight oil and an electric drill are all you need.

Keep the hone moving up and down in the bore and hone until you see a good cross hatch pattern form in the bore. Just takes a few minutes.

Exactly right. Used pistons are always OK, even in race engines, so long as they are undamaged (no cracks, scuffing, etc.). Clearances are crucial and, yes, honing is a highly recommended procedure.
If the clearance is just slightly too large, you have the option of sending the pistons out for coating in low friction material. Swaintech.com and others can do this and even control - to some extent - how thick the coating will be. This allows you to "adjust" the clearance to bring it into spec, plus you get the benefits of reduced friction and heat.

Hi guys, great discussion. Is a hone absolutely necessary or only if the cylinder is scored beyond normal scuffing. I've rebuilt dirt bike top ends (2t and 4t) and never been advised to hone the cylinder unless there was a problem.

Honing should be done with a cast iron bore/sleeve i.e. xs650, the 2t & 4t dirt bike engines you have rebuilt may have been either chrome or a Nikasil coated bore in which case no honing is done.:thumbsup:

Back