Revtech Transmission Oil

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the transmission oil in a 74 H-D 1000cc Ironhead Sporster today and now the clutch isn't working-- just slips, won't move.

We went to a local shop and picked up a bottle of the following:

"RevTech® Gear and Chaincase Lube
Specially designed for use in all XL and XR Sportster® motors from 1971 thru 2003 where the transmission and primary chaincase share a common lubricant."

There's nothing on the bottle to indicate the oil might be synthetic.

Tried adjusting but no go. Clutch was perfect before we changed the oil.

So we drained and refilled with regular 20W50 weight Revtech engine oil.

Still no go.

Any ideas?

PS. I recently got a deal in a few cases of the Revtech 20W50 engine oil at $2.oo a quart from a shop closing and was thinking I might run it in my XS650 but now I'm having second thoughts.

RecycleBill, I buy the RevTech® Gear and Chaincase Lube by the case for my 1990 Sportster -- that was the last year of the 4-speed, and the tranny and clutch are pretty similar to the '74 you are working on. I think the stuff is the best.

You are definitely on the wrong forum. Go here instead:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules/Jig/index.php
It is the best Sportster forum, and the ironhead sub-forum guys are really tight.

RecycleBill, I buy the RevTech® Gear and Chaincase Lube by the case for my 1990 Sportster -- that was the last year of the 4-speed, and the tranny and clutch are pretty similar to the '74 you are working on. I think the stuff is the best.

You are definitely on the wrong forum. Go here instead:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules/Jig/index.php
It is the best Sportster forum, and the ironhead sub-forum guys are really tight.

My partner (Wooley) and owner of the Sporty in question is already a member there but thanks anyway.

I have been running a full synth oil in the primary case of My "03 H-D since new and have over 50,000 on it with no clutch trouble. The oil is not the problem.
Clutches like a synth oil, it lubes and cools better.
Run it in your XS650 it ain't bad oil.
Leo

Back