RH Switch catching fire

I_ride_forth

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Really struggling with an electrical issue that I could use help with. I have a 1975 XS650 and it's in generally good condition. The previous owner had installed a newtronics electronic ignition but hadn't refurbished any of the rest of the electrics.

The original wiring harness had corroded and I was getting a few shorts where wires had melted in the headlight bucket so I replaced with a new harness form Yambits.

I connected up as labelled in the wiring diagram but when turning the ignition switch to position 2 had smoke coming out of the Right hand switch and the wires from the switch were melting. Thought it was the switch so bought a replacement but the same thing happened again now I'm two switches down and rather confused as to why they keep going up in smoke.

Any ideas what may be causing this? Also id have expected the fuse to have blown first there was a 35Amp fuse in the main fuse which seems rather high? What should the main fuse be on a 1975?

Any help would be much appreciated!

20 amp main fuse.
My suspicion would be a short to ground in the RH switch housing. stock turn signals etc? pictures?
Another gotcha could be wires crossed in the headlight bucket so that a hot is plugged into a (black) ground wire.
On a 75 there is a black ground wire clamped under the handlebar riser bolt.

Thanks for the answer on the fuse.

No turn signals or tail light connected. With the key on position 2 the neutral light is on and brake light indicator flashes.

Will take and post some pictures tomorrow and check the ground. If the ground is present any idea what readings should I get with a multimeter for each of the wires connecting to the right hand switch? Keen to not fry another switch in the troubleshooting.

+1 on checking the bullet connectors in the headlight.........new wiring loom may have some wires a different colour

Don't, run power through the system...........do a continuity test.......no power.

A link to a how to continuity test of the loom.........
http://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

From the 74/75 assembly manual
74 TXA Assembly manual - parts  Manualt17 17.jpg

Back