Riding And Meeting For The Economy

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
All across the nation, Bikers everywhere ride for various causes almost every weekend. And that's a good thing.

But why not take it a step farther and ride to save-- or help save-- the economy of these united states? You see, since long before the "Recession" started, some communities in America have been increasingly economically destitute. Many communities throughout the Southland and Heartland never recovered from the Great Depression that started in 1928 and now things are hardly any better. One of these communities is Nutbush, Tennessee, made famous by Tina Turner and later by Bob Segar in Tina's autobiographical song, Nutbush City Limits. Sadly, even with all that fame, there came no fortune to Nutbush.

1452951_com_picture3.jpg

You see, anywhere people quietly gather en mass, the local economic outlook of that community improves. That's why the more prosperous via for your Tourists' Dollars. That's why my friend Wooley and I have decided to ride the back-roads 600 miles from Greensboro, North Carolina to Nutbush, Tennessee come Fall after the cotton fields 'round Nutbush have been picked and the cotton hauled away to the gin house. And we're hoping others will meet us there.

If only Wooley and I show up our efforts won't be noticed. If 100 bikers show up the positive effects could last weeks and if thousands show up the positive effects could last for years.

Wooley picked Nutbush because of the lyric, "... Motorcycles ain't allowed in it..." but Nutbush is what we hope will become the first of hundreds of gatherings in small towns and dying communities all across the United States of America.

This isn't about politics or pointing fingers. We could go on forever as to why our economy is in the state it's in. We can argue 'til the end of time about what it will take to rebuild our economy but no matter where you stand on the political spectrum I think we can agree the economy sucks.

And we're not deluding you or ourselves either. We know that a gathering of bikers in any one place isn't going to turn things around completely but there's no doubt that we can make a difference to Nutbush and other small communities across America simply by going there, spending money on the things we already spend it on (gas, groceries, etc...) and returning home to ready ourselves for the next destination.

There's still a lot of details to work out but Wooley and I are hoping you'll get on your bikes and meet us in Nutbush, we'll tell you when.

:bike:

Last edited:
That should be a very worthwhile event. The USA is having tough times lately.............recession, housing market collapse, tornadoes, Mississippi river flooding....................hang in there guys, better times are coming!

I have visited Nashville and Memphis, but I don't think I can make it to Tennessee on my bike.....................a little too far from Calgary.

A good idea to help small towns out.

The first thing i noticed in the pic was the lack of rubbish bins and the rubbish spread all over the road.

A good idea to help small towns out.

The first thing i noticed in the pic was the lack of rubbish bins and the rubbish spread all over the road.

Pretty typical of dying communities...

It the song, Nutbush City Limits Tina used the lyric, "... The people keep the city clean..." but I suspect there was a bit of poking fun in Tina's lyrics as Nutbush has never been incorporated and therefore has no city limits.

Pretty typical of dying communities...

It the song, Nutbush City Limits Tina used the lyric, "... The people keep the city clean..." but I suspect there was a bit of poking fun in Tina's lyrics as Nutbush has never been incorporated and therefore has no city limits.

Yes it is ReycleBill. 9 times out of 10 the community that will attract and survive are the ones that at least make an attempt to spruce themselves up and take a little pride in their appearance.

Maybe something like this will help and encourage them

Last edited:
You could ride in on your motorcycles and threaten to terrorize the place if they don't sweep the streets.

It will be interesting to see what's up there. There are usually reasons for situations, not always easily changed. For example, they may take the money you spread around and buy crack with it. :)

Or that picture might not really be very representative.

It will be interesting to see what's up there. There are usually reasons for situations, not always easily changed. For example, they may take the money you spread around and buy crack with it. :)

Or that picture might not really be very representative.

Nutbush never recovered from the Great Depression of the 1920s and 1930s. They've been bypassed by all the rivers, railroads, highways and tourist attractions. Heck, they're even being missed by the floods on the Mississippi River less than 50 miles away. (Most communities prosper after Federal Disaster Relief kicks in.) All that is left of Tina Turner's home is a tree. The Bol Weevil destroyed the cotton industry there and throughout the American Southland for over 50 years and is just now returning... The soils were ruined for any other kind of farming so cash crops were scarce. There's simply nothing there.

That said, like much of the world I'm sure they have their share of drug problems. The drug of choice in the rural Southland is Cowboy Cocaine aka oxycontin. Crack is more common in cities.

But yes, I understand what you're saying.

If you wait for the perfect time it'll never arrive. When you were a kid didn't you ever drive to California in a smoking car with no lights and no reverse gear? Or only reverse gear? A 600 mile trip to to the land of littered streets is what that old gal needs to beat her into shape. Show her who's boss. That's the problem. She thinks she's the boss.

When you were a kid didn't you ever drive to California in a smoking car with no lights and no reverse gear?

Or,while a teen, walk out Mom & Dad's backdoor with a backpack, cut thru the woods to the interstate and thumb to Key West or Atlanta, or upto Philly...or, drive a Volkswagon thru a road covered by a rain-swollen creek just to see if VW's really do float? (They don't.) Fond memories...

I guess I took the correct first step...buying my first motorcyle for my 60th birthday (a beater at that, but a classy beater). Maybe I can convince my wife to follow behind the pack with a trailer.:)

Yamakazi, if it can't be fixed on the road well enough to get you 1200 miles, it can't be fixed.

I actually hitchhiked some of that route myself, summer of '73. I'd suggest a change in the route - from Asheville go to Maggie Valley, thence to Sevierville or Seymore via Gatlinburg. Because I remember the Newport area to be pretty boring. Even stoned.

Back