Riding And Meeting For The Economy

that's one of of the arguments we keep trying to use agains the gov here, as they keep making motorcycling more and more unattainable, i'm from a small town in the country, and the summer motorcycle season brings thousands of bikers to the region, all stopping at local businesses.

it'll be a bigger hit to the economy than whatever they're hoping to make gouging riders, it will bite them in the butt in the end...

sorry for the rant,

Heard from folks in Nutbush today. I think they're going to be happy to see us. Here's a link to the conversation thus far.

Yamakazi, You're welcome to tag along. We'll be in no hurry.

xjwmx, My daddy owned a tractor-trailer way back when. I had driven it the every state East of the Mississippi River plus Iowa and to Canada before I was 16. At 18 I was trucking coast to coast on my own picking up hitchikers and kids in broken down cars with no reverse.

No route is set in stone. I'm just avoiding the Interstates because they bore me to tears. No matter where you go, Interstates and industrial parks all look the same.

that's one of of the arguments we keep trying to use agains the gov here, as they keep making motorcycling more and more unattainable, i'm from a small town in the country, and the summer motorcycle season brings thousands of bikers to the region, all stopping at local businesses.

it'll be a bigger hit to the economy than whatever they're hoping to make gouging riders, it will bite them in the butt in the end...

sorry for the rant,

Part of my thinking for doing this is exactly what you're talking about. We'll go to the places that want us and let the rest starve. There's power in numbers.

xjwmx and RecycleBill...

Yep, I was gonna say, there'd probably be more technical expertise on that ride than you could shake a stick at. It's called being in good company.

Update: I heard back from some folks in the Nutbush area and it seems they're interested in having us. They're putting together a list of attractions and things to do nearby. It's early but it's looking like it might be a go.

^They'll do everything in their power to create a new Sturgis with you. Call a writer from the N.Y. Times.

RecycleBill,
You may want to look at this site for ideas.
http://cassodaybikerun.com/history_and_location

There is currently a petition being circulated to have it shut down.
I'm sure people trying to "live" the image have something to do with that.
Their chamber of commerce (probably the mayor) would have some pointers maybe.

RecycleBill,
You may want to look at this site for ideas.
http://cassodaybikerun.com/history_and_location

There is currently a petition being circulated to have it shut down.
I'm sure people trying to "live" the image have something to do with that.
Their chamber of commerce (probably the mayor) would have some pointers maybe.

But what we're trying to do isn't the same sort of thing. It's a different concept. Think of it as if you were going to an out of the way spot for vacation and lots of other motorcyclists just happen to show up as well. I'm proposing a joint vacation, I'm not proposing a run, ride or rally-- I'm proposing riders go to Nutbush, spend a few dollars to help the local economy and go home. A non-event so to speak. No one can shut down a non-event. The locals will run everything. If Nutbush wants a repeat then they'll be free to do so but I plan to keep moving from one distressed community to another to reduce the strain on communities and help boost struggling economies.

Think flash mobs on motorcycles without the flash.

Last edited:
Sorry if it wasn't a help. I'll have to disagree on it being different though.
The logistics of a one time event and repeat events often mirror each other.
How many public toilets in town? They may want to consider a port-a-potty or two.
Parking? How many gas sations are in town? And will they run out with the added demand? Eating places? Can they handle an extra 50 people for the weekend.
Nothing like going in to find they ran out of the "special" for the day 3 hrs ago and I now have a choice between a grill cheese with or without chips. Sodas and water? Is the local 7-11 going to be stocked for extra? Will the residents want the extra noise and traffic?
You want this to be a fun vacation for yourself and I'm sure you want the towns people to have a satisfying experience. Fore thought could be the difference for both parties.
That is all I was trying to point out.

As far as stimulating the economy(since this is a one time thing) wouldn't every little town you stop in on the way there and back benefit also? I know I would need gas for bike and body before I arrived in Nutbush.

Sorry if it wasn't a help. I'll have to disagree on it being different though.
The logistics of a one time event and repeat events often mirror each other.
How many public toilets in town? They may want to consider a port-a-potty or two.
Parking? How many gas sations are in town? And will they run out with the added demand? Eating places? Can they handle an extra 50 people for the weekend.
Nothing like going in to find they ran out of the "special" for the day 3 hrs ago and I now have a choice between a grill cheese with or without chips. Sodas and water? Is the local 7-11 going to be stocked for extra? Will the residents want the extra noise and traffic?
You want this to be a fun vacation for yourself and I'm sure you want the towns people to have a satisfying experience. Fore thought could be the difference for both parties.
That is all I was trying to point out.

You're right, that's why I'm communicating with officials there.

As far as stimulating the economy(since this is a one time thing) wouldn't every little town you stop in on the way there and back benefit also? I know I would need gas for bike and body before I arrived in Nutbush.

In a small way, yes, but not nearly as much as it would stimulate the economy of the destination community.

The success or failure of this effort is based in how many people spread the word.

PS. I point out the differences here.

Last edited:
Back