RIP Charlie Watts

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just hears the sad news that Charlie Watts died yesterday
Never was a total fan of the Stones but Charlie's style and rhythm always caught my attention he didn't
Just bang away and keep simple rhythm
He had a unique style all his own

Not to late become a fan yet .. Always liked the stones

Go for the 60 ies catalogue and first few years in the 70 ies
All in all not done an important recording in 50 years but they still Rock
I think they sounded better with Wyman and Watts Keeping tempo A little bit more heavy handed bass playing
CW was a special person .. Some other members of the group always had their mouth open ..
I remember a radio show they was going to interview CW trying something new

Young enthusiastic high speed interviewer
--- " So Charlie what do you do besides playing drums in the Rolling Stones "
** Naaathing ..ggg Im Lazyy..yyy "

And then the interview was pretty much over
Only thing he was willing to talk about was some drummer in Count Basie's Orchestra or so.
But over here the band was huge ..then Probably bigger than the Beatles where I Lived

There is the story when he Clocked Jagger
Jagger called CW his drummer and got one on the Nose ...CW you are my singer

I always liked The Stones. Charlie always seemed like the regular guy who just showed up and did his job. You never heard anything about him and he never fit the rock star image.
But he was there from the beginning and was part of history. You gotta give it to the guy!
3EC4C446-2680-4D8A-B1D4-F053B24B5B01.jpeg

Sad to hear of Charlie's passing, he was a rock god for sure. I watched a documentary about Bill Wyman the other day apparently he was quite a videophile and has loads of candid film footage from over the years, it was really interesting. An interesting note, every time a rock star dies Keith Richards and Willie Nelson experience the quickening. There can be only two.

Sad to hear of Charlie's passing, he was a rock god for sure. I watched a documentary about Bill Wyman the other day apparently he was quite a videophile and has loads of candid film footage from over the years, it was really interesting. An interesting note, every time a rock star dies Keith Richards and Willie Nelson experience the quickening. There can be only two.
So please tell us where to see the documentary !

For you Stones addicts, I highly recommend Keith Richards' lengthy Autobiography called "Life".

I have heard the audiobook three times; he reads some of it himself.

Many reviewers have said, "He remembers everything !!" (despite the drugs)

Best parts, IMHO, are when he reveals his unique guitar tuning secrets.

book-jumbo.jpg

For you Stones addicts, I highly recommend Keith Richards' lengthy Autobiography called "Life".

book-jumbo.jpg
Keith was once quoted as saying "Playing Guitar is easy, its just 5 strings, 9 fingers and one asshole" I am paraphrasing here as the actual quote involves a lot more unintelligible mumbling and a "ROCKN' ROLL" tossed in there somewhere. (5 strings instead of 6 because Keith plays in Open G tuning and doesn't even put a Low E string on most of his guitars)

A hole or not 5 strings or not Is he not a far better guitarist then what he gets credits for.
Maybe not as technical as some of the other guitarists in the band. Over the years but he has some good riffs.
They played in Stockholm recently ..and I have been looking at their Glastonbury festival. On line
What I believe makes him go up in ranking is his ability to " Play the Pauses "
He sometimes hit a chord and hold it for a looooong tiiiii...me and then Whack it a couple of times upstroke and downstroke
With authority.
And hold it again .. Feel Free Correct me if I am wrong .It is perhaps not technically difficult but Rhythmically.
Anyone heard a decent cover of Jumping Jack Flash ???

Keith was once quoted as saying "Playing Guitar is easy, its just 5 strings, 9 fingers and one asshole" I am paraphrasing here as the actual quote involves a lot more unintelligible mumbling and a "ROCKN' ROLL" tossed in there somewhere. (5 strings instead of 6 because Keith plays in Open G tuning and doesn't even put a Low E string on most of his guitars)

book-jumbo.jpg
Love the Stones, but found this book hard going and very repetitive at times. The audio version is easier going.

For those who can access the BBC, My Life As A Rolling Stone is worth a watch
I watched those now on TV here ... a bit sugarcoated but worth seeing

Check this out about Richards Guitar plying same song different playing

I always believed i twas Brian Jones Playing but I was apparently wrong.

Jones making stellar work there

Darryl Jones on Base I have seen him once With Miles Davis
Hahaha a Friend said lets go Check it out -- he Miles is coming to town I said OK I Dont understand Jazz.
I have a couple of records ..but I don't get it.
But it did not matter at that concert He did not play any Jazz he played big City Funk
smoking ..Or should I say the others played ..Miles stood with back against the crowd and now and then gave a note on the horn.
I have never heard so many swear after a concert in the Foyer afterwards. Memorable
I dont know who the others were but it was good.

Back