Roustabout

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have very little tolerance for musicals. Very weird watching some scene and having someone suddenly break out in song :eek: What few I've seen were probably an attempt to placate a girlfriend who loved them, and insisted I come along.

Women seem to love musicals o_O

So, I've always avoided the Elvis Presley movies; all were musicals, I believe.

But then, I stumbled on his 1964 film, Roustabout, just now, and I must admit it was sorta fun. There he was, riding a Honda 305 Superhawk with leather jacket, in the role of Tough Motorcycle Guy:

The bike had an amazingly large luggage rack to accommodate his guitar (here with co-star Barbara Stanwyck):

roustabout-awwnc9.jpg

There was a carnival scene (he took a job as a roustabout) with a Wall Of Death:

921612_365209236912023_431999552_o.jpg

...and in a number of scenes he spit up dirt with his mean :laugh2: 305:

119f99667f3b91cc5d5--harley-davidson-elvis-presley.jpg

I wish I had seen this flick when I was 15; I would have felt just a bit more cool on my 305 Scrambler.

Honda305.jpg

Hay Dude ! your bike was LOUD I can tell as I didn't see Snuff-or Not's at the end of the exhaust pipes....
My brother in law had the scrambler and I had the pressed steel version frame of the Dream he could walk off and leave me anytime !
but when I got there I still had gas ! his bike guzzled fuel and Mine sipped it carefully like fine wine.....
what a difference a change makes in 2 carbs straight pipes and a crank change.... interesting times I wonder some times how I lived threw them ! LOL
Bob.........

Hay Dude ! your bike was LOUD I can tell as I didn't see Snuff-or Not's at the end of the exhaust pipes....
My brother in law had the scrambler and I had the pressed steel version frame of the Dream he could walk off and leave me anytime !
but when I got there I still had gas ! his bike guzzled fuel and Mine sipped it carefully like fine wine.....
what a difference a change makes in 2 carbs straight pipes and a crank change.... interesting times I wonder some times how I lived threw them ! LOL
Bob.........
Bob,
Altho back then loud was Proud and Good, I think I fitted some sort of JC Whitney baffle into the tip, as the local police had already put ear tags on both my brother and me. Lots of "routine stops", checking VINS and existence of baffles. We had some wild parties at the house that year (1969) and the cops set up traffic stop/screenings at the end of our road to try to contain them :laugh2:. My parents were off in Europe for 3 weeks (they trusted us to be Good Boys :laugh:). I guess it didn't help that I was getting arrested, and tickets for speeding.

I'm currently on a bike trip (ST1300 not Lucille) from Peterborough to Pembroke, ON and then over into Quebec and now we're in Ottawa at the Museum of Civilization. It is perhaps a bit "arty" for me but impressive nonetheless.

Tomorrow, we'll ride back to Peterborough and then I ride alone to Sudbury, ON for a board of directors meeting and then home to Windsor on Wed-Thursday. Should be around 1700-2000 km all told.

The weather is amazing - it's over 30C with heat warnings. I'm riding in mesh jacket & gloves with the face sheild open.

Cheers,

Pete

Yamadude that 305 scrambler shot "and other details of your mis-spent youth" coulda been me. Almost scary close to identical. LOL Well mine had snuff r nots, a local cop asked me late one night "Would it be quieter if we turned these shut? " The muffler went back on soon after. Even the parents gone, house party with cops at the end of the street...............

Yamadude that 305 scrambler shot "and other details of your mis-spent youth" coulda been me. Almost scary close to identical. LOL Well mine had snuff r nots, a local cop asked me late one night "Would it be quieter if we turned these shut? " The muffler went back on soon after. Even the parents gone, house party with cops at the end of the street...............
Thats cool.
I often yearn for those days, and occasionally have flashbacks to early wild-and-crazy episodes; my brother occasionally says, "How did we even survive some of them?"

Favorite activity back then while stoned:

standing-on-the-motorbike.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't most of us more 'mature' gents have longer, thicker and and darker hair back in the day? Now a days about the time my hair is about the length I like it SWMBO is hinting for me to get a haircut.
Didn't the CL77 have a spark arrester on the end of those pipes? I'm sure most of them were removed.

Didn't most of us more 'mature' gents have longer, thicker and and darker hair back in the day? Now a days about the time my hair is about the length I like it SWMBO is hinting for me to get a haircut.
Didn't the CL77 have a spark arrester on the end of those pipes? I'm sure most of them were removed.
I wish I could remember what it had in the pipes. Too long ago. But I do recall what it didnt have: the heat shield. On the way to Final Exams one year, I burned my leg badly, and had to get through them "slightly distracted" :eek: That scar lasted about 25 years.

Before moving on to a series of Triumphs, I extended the front end, bought some silly handlebars, sculpted the tank and frame, and did a "lace paint job" on the tank and covers. Remember Lace paint effects?

201001a51cd315eb4248c555315c0d2a.jpg

OMG, the bike looks SO silly :lmao: :lmao:

IMG_0017.jpg

By the way, you were rockin the long hair! I remember having hair.....sigh.
As for Elvis, some people were just cool, whether you were into their music or not.
I have photos of both Elvis and Johnny Cash above my work bench.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Doesn't look silly to me Dude! You gotta keep your perspective Man!
View attachment 106367
EVERYBODY Wanted to be Easy Rider back then. You gotta look at those old pics with your blue tinted sunglasses man!
View attachment 106368
Ha ! :lmao: I wish I had felt as cool as Dennis Hopper back when I was 15. I was socially awkward and hadn't discovered hair shampoo yet.

I guess it took getting a Triumph at age 17 (you remember that, Bob) to just start feeling slightly hip and In The Groove.

born to run.png

Back