Rpm's hover, but not finding air leak.

:thumbsup:+1 could even be a hole in the diaphragm vacuum leaking just check everywhere including the petcock make sure its not dumping gas into the vacuum line and make sure its not sucking air into the vacuum line or into the petcock itself

I'd previously sprayed carb manifold, shafts, body etc with WD40. It made no change to the RPMs but today went down and sprayed throttle shaft seal with Carb cleaner and RPMs dipped down 200 RPMs. Did that a few times to verify.

So I thought I found my problem. Called XSCentral to order throttle shaft seal. I explained what I need. But we got to talking. He thinks that spraying it with Carb cleaner should make idle go up instead of down. And that maybe something else is going on.

Bad throttle shaft seal or could there be other suspects?

it will choke it out....i sprayed mine with a flammable contact cleaner. Choked it out. they definetly were bad as it would never hold a constant idle. replaced them, and voila, steady idle.

No, that's not normal, lol. You need to spend some quality time with the old girl and do some much needed maintenance. The felt pads rubbing the points cam are there to hold grease and lube the cam as it spins. The grease on yours is all dried out and chunking off. That's the crap you found. The advance unit should be clean and oiled, not all rusty like yours. You need to service it and the advance rod that runs through the cam. The advance rod is probably dry and hanging in the advanced position. That will cause the hanging idle.

Clean and lightly grease the advance weight pivot posts. Clean and oil the springs. Lightly wipe the whole unit down with oil so it shines. In the future, a small shot of foaming chain lube on the posts and springs will keep them lubed.

The outer bushing at each end of the cam that the advance rod turns in has grooves cut into it's I.D. These are to hold a reservoir of grease and keep the rod lubed. I just serviced mine recently and re-greased the bushings. I had done it initially 5 or 6 years ago. There was still some grease left in there but I took the opportunity to refill the bushing grooves. I'll get some pics up shortly.

5 twins, can you post pics soon. Im sure i need to service my advancer. What type of grease are you useing to lube the pivot posts? How are you applying it? I am having the same issues as described in this thread. Also why is my bike over reving on cold start when useing the enrichener on startup. I have new 34s from 650 central and the new manifolds have been properly sealed. Mitch :confused:

I did post pics of the cam bushings. For cleaning and servicing your advance the 1st time, it's best to remove the weights. That way you can clean everything up good. Lightly grease the pivot posts upon reassembly using any high temp grease. In the future to maintain them, a small shot of foaming chain lube works well. My high temp grease of choice for most applications is Sta-lube Premium Red. 3M recommends this as well for use on drum brake parts.

http://www.amazon.com/SL3190-Sta-Plex-Extreme-Pressure-Cartridge/dp/B000KKJRMW

Hey 5twins, I bought the Sta-Lube to service the advance. Can that grease be used in other points of service on the bike? Thanks!

Back