RRRRRRR! Can't narrow this down

He did do the load test and it sucked it down to the not good part, but then he wouldn't commit to saying it was an accurate test because the battery, according to him, wasn't fully charged. I sort of felt like he was being really honest, and could at that point just sell me a new battery. But he did offer to charge then test it for me. I think I'll be getting a new battery when all is said and done. I'll see what my options are on the different CCAs. Is there a minimum I want for an xs650 engine? I'm at good compression as I just rebuilt the engine.

Yep, get a new battery! Gosh, CCA for the XS, not sure on that one, probably about an 18 - 20 amp h though. However someone will be able to advise you better than I

A fully charged battery has 2.2volts per cell, 6 cell battery = 13.2volts

I taught mechanics at YMUS and this was always a bone of contention but correct.

The other thing is batterys discharge at aprox. 1% per day when not in use.

The new cetec battery chargers are a wonder and with winter coming on over there a good investment.

Sulfation of one cell kills the thing.

Last edited:
A fully charged lead acid, 12 volt battery, should read about 12.5 volts.

I recommend you buy a conventional lead acid battery (wet cell). Get a 14 amp/hour rated battery..................they crank these engines with no problems at all.

:eek:so, uh... er... it was the battery. :stupid:

I guess I can be in the XSOTM contest after all.

Thanks all for he help.

Back