Running an 18 up front

Holloway321

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I'm building a scrambler and I want to run and 18 up front. My question is what width front tire do I need to run to still ride well. My other other question is how does the 18 rear 18 front combo change the riding.

Steepens the rake slightly, if truly for a Scrambler could be an improvement
I ran 18" front and back on a street tracker in the 80's because street performance tire selection was better but with half mile style pipes they would touch down in right handers.

I used a stock XS 650 rear wheel laced to a front hub. Back then I had to order spokes from Buchannan's.
That's a WM2 rim, 2.15" wide, slightly wider than the stock WM1, 1.85" wide. A 3.5" wide tire should fit, the limit will depend on what type of fender you intend to run. If a high mounted MX type then no problem, you might get some of the other scrambler builders here to comment.

I don't plan on going to crazy with it. The goal is just a scrambler look. I will probably run one of the stock looking front fenders but shorter.

20221227_173110.jpg

Pretty sure my front is a 100/90-18. But I can double check tonight

:twocents:
I think it's a definite improvement.
The tall 19" stock set up tends to have a "fall into" the corner moment, not confidence inspiring. This does require more bar effort to initiate the turn and make line changes. But I prefer the more planted, stable feel.

Back