running no turnsignals ??

flthead

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
plan on running no turns on my '75 . close to stock [swingarm ] and running stock rear fender and headlight bucket . since most of the bike was in pieces or missing .... looking for info on attaching headlight bucket and rear fender without the turn signals . what is used for mounting up the parts ? need to fab something up ? any pics or tips ??

I just used some nice chrome bolts

plan on running no turns on my '75 . close to stock [swingarm ] and running stock rear fender and headlight bucket . since most of the bike was in pieces or missing .... looking for info on attaching headlight bucket and rear fender without the turn signals . what is used for mounting up the parts ? need to fab something up ? any pics or tips ??

On the front using bolts to hold the headlight bucket will work fine. I'll post a pic showing what the bucket looks like without the headlight. well it will show how mine looks, Most have a few more wires.
The signals mount to a bracket that bolts the fender, frame, and bracket together, just leave the bracket and light off.
I went out and snapped a pic. With the luggage rack on it's hard to see. JUst above the stem of the turnsignal you see an acorn nut. The head of the bolt is on the inside of the fender. The bolt is a shouldered bolt. It comes in through a rubber grommet in he fender, through the frame, and light bracket, then a flat washer, lock washer and the nut.
With out the bracket you may need an extra washer.
Leo

Attachments

• New bike 045 (640x480).jpg
    New bike 045 (640x480).jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 50
  • rear turn mount 001 (640x480).jpg
    rear turn mount 001 (640x480).jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I ran my XS650 in the 70s and 80s with out turn signals.
Check your state laws, here you need to wear a bucket, and have two mirrors.
Thats it.

My second XS wont have any turn signals on it either. Heck My 2008 Sporty has them, and I never use them

Is it even legal/inspectable to run without any turnsignals?

It really does depend on your state and the cops in your area. In Michigan the law states that motorcycle exhaust must have baffles, but so many people run straight pipes. Also the MI state helmet laws say they need to be DOT rated, but half the harley riders I see on the road are wearing salad bowls on their head.

It really does depend on your state and the cops in your area. In Michigan the law states that motorcycle exhaust must have baffles, but so many people run straight pipes. Also the MI state helmet laws say they need to be DOT rated, but half the harley riders I see on the road are wearing salad bowls on their head.

And in Michigan we don't need turn signal's

Back