Rust in gas tank?

pyroman

Pyroman
Reaction score
If You have ever tried to get the rust out of a gas tank, You will love this product. A friend of mine turned Me on to it, and it is the greatest stuff.....RUSTECO www.rusteco.com. Simply remove the petcock and plug the hole(s), Pour in the RUSTECO to the top. Put the tank into a plastic tote, put the lid on the tote, and set it out in the sun for about 24-48 hours. Remove the tank from the tote, and pour the RUSTECO back into its plastic container,through a paint filter. Now, flush the tank with plenty of fresh clean water, I use the car wash. Immediately pour in a quart or so of gas-oil mix, to prevent flash rust.Slosh that around, then dispose of it . Now, re-install petcock and fill with gas. Done. RUSTECO is totally organic, no gloves or respirator needed! You shoulkd wear safety glasses, just because...RUSTECO willnot damage paint, rubber, or plastic, and is also great for marine use. There are no special shipping, storage or use restrictions, and it is so safe ,You can pour it on Your garden, if You are so inclined. This is a Triumph tank I just treated for a Friend of mine. Khasi, the Shop Quality Control Kitty, fully approves of RUSTECO.

Attachments

• Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 001.jpg
    Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 003.jpg
    Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 003.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 028.jpg
    Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 028.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 040.jpg
    Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 040.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 052.jpg
    Rusteco gas tank treatment-Sammy 052.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 84
Note: RUSTECO is not cheap, but if You deal with lots of old bikes, as I do, it will pay for itself over and over. I bought 4 gallons, and have been using the same four gallons for about 3 years. That is a LOT of rust, Guys. Also, RUSTECO is not intended to repair leaks, it is intended to clean the metal. I am not a Dealer, or Distributor, or Employee of this Company, just a very satisfied Customer.

I usually use vinegar&salt, toss a handful of bolts in and start shaking. Drain that, rinse, put some phosphoric acid in to convert the remaining rust, shake, let set, drain, rinse. Fill with gas/oil mix as you mentioned above. Then just keep it full of gas.

I've never tried any of the coatings.

I might have to try that rusteco if I end up with several tanks to clean though...less shaking.

I usually use vinegar&salt, toss a handful of bolts in and start shaking. Drain that, rinse, put some phosphoric acid in to convert the remaining rust, shake, let set, drain, rinse. Fill with gas/oil mix as you mentioned above. Then just keep it full of gas.

I've never tried any of the coatings.

I might have to try that rusteco if I end up with several tanks to clean though...less shaking.

Yep no shaking , no bolts, no acid, no mess. Pour it in, pour it out.:thumbsup:

sounds like a good product, but you're right it is expensive - $125 for 5 gallons :yikes:

i bookmarked the site because the gel sounds like a much better alternative to naval jelly as its safe on all metals

btw i did the vinegar and bolts thing in my tank, worked great, but i think i'll use a chain from now on, all them bolts were a pain to get out

i used "kreem" but if i ever have another rust issue i think i'll try this method. just don't want to ruin my purdy paint job!

i used "kreem" but if i ever have another rust issue i think i'll try this method. just don't want to ruin my purdy paint job!

Kreem is for coating the tank and repairing pinholes. RUSTECO is a totally different product. It is for cleaning the metal. Once clean, keep a full tank, no more rust. Of course, then , the crap gasoline they sell Us now, begins to degrade, and the Ethanol begins to eat the system. When I am King, Gasoline will be like it was in the old days. Who's scared of a little lead?:shrug:

BTW, when I was filling the Triumph tank, I spilled RUSTECO on the paint. No worries, just wipe it off.

Back