working class choppers

chop whatcha got
Reaction score
they are a good idea
i just picked up an awesome set at lowes for just:thumbsup: $1.98
they are made by 3M
great fit, you don't even know your wearing them
highly suggest

yeah dude great investment. i've gotten metal shavings from turning a brake rotor in my eye a couple times and let me tell ya, its no fun.

Good idea....more like great idea. If your grinding on something its a guarentee that you'll get hit in the eye if you don't have them.

Early last year my father-in-law was building a house and some shrapnel came off his hammer or part of a nail and lodged in his eye...he almost lost it. He can still see out of it (they had to remove the cornea) but that's after 100k worth of surgeries.

Not worth the risk to not wearing them.

I have safety glasses EVERYWHERE except where I will need them next. I am believer, took a few near misses and a metal chunk or two fished out of my eyeballs. NEVER go under a northern car without them on.

I was working on my frame last weekend and got shot in the eye with a piece of metal from my grinder. So monday after work I went to the eye doctor and it cost me 150 to have it removed... Never again will I not wear safety glasses....

Its not how they do it on TeeVee. You don't even need ta helmet to weld. :)

Don't forget your ear protection, too. Loud tools, motorcycles and that evil rock and roll music will fuck up your ears, but you won't know how stupid you've been until much later. :D

John

I knew a guy who lost an eye in the service working on something. When I knew him, later, he would wear safety glasses when working in a lab no matter how harmless the thing he was doing seemed. He didn't want to take any chances with his remaining eye!

What you guy's don't just squint? I use a full face shield to protect the money maker.

I'm with you, bro. I rock the full face shield and will never go back to safety glasses. You can really get up close and personal with the face shield and not flinch every time something gets stuck into your face. I know they are a bit more money, but definitely worth it.

I'm with you, bro. I rock the full face shield and will never go back to safety glasses. You can really get up close and personal with the face shield and not flinch every time something gets stuck into your face. I know they are a bit more money, but definitely worth it.

+2, faceshield comes out everytime any high speed cutting/grinding tool is used.

I have a faceshield but it's getting pretty scratched up and hard to see out of. Need to buy a new one I find myself not wearing it as much as I should

got some carb spray in my eye a month or two ago. That stuff will eat safety glasses and face shields but lemme tell you, it's worth getting a new pair ever so often. Eyeballs are not a consumable item. And the pain? I didn't know I even knew that much profanity.

Yeah, I've gotten some in my eyes before, that stuff kills. Almost as bad: Last night, while making hot sauce, I rubbed my eye after breaking open 60 chile de arbol. Oooouuuuccch.

What about safety gloves?

I know a blacksmith who told me he gets crap all the time when he goes to the airport because he has so much metal embedded in his hands it sets all the alarms off.
The security people were dumbfounded when they wanded his hands, untill he told em he was a blacksmith.

Glasses and Shield are good but what I wouldn't give for a good pair of working gloves too.:D

I had a friend in a High School welding class burn out his corneas. He could see for about a week. Same dumba$$ left the o2 on one night. Dang near blew the roof off the school.

I did the same thing with haibenaro peppers once...rubbed my eye...ouch. the worse one was when I picked the lid off the pot and the steam hit my eyes...holy crap I never though steam could get spicy hot. Now when I make my 5 alarm chilli I wear rubber gloves and glasses. Look like a mad scientist in the kitchen.

I have always used safety glasses EVERY single time I do anything in the garage. I've still gotten metal in my eye and had to run to the ER. But if I didn't have my glasses on....it would have been much worse.

I always have to tell people I work with to put their glasses on. Sorry it's not the "cool" thing to do....

i got hit with a bit from a wire wheel once
that kinky little piece of wire had penetrated so far into my eye
they almost could not get it out
after a few flicks with a weird instrument it came popping out
everytime they flicked it i could here it twang, like plucking a guitar
yeah
now there are at least 20 pair of glasses in my shop
and i still can't seem to find a set, by the end of the night i have 10 pairs to put away cuz i leave them laying around everywhere

Back