Safety Relay , 1979 xs650

Philthy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in need of a safety relay for my bike and want to make sure I am going to purchase the right part. If someone could post a picture of a safety relay on, or from, a 79 xs, I would be forever grateful! Thanks.

I found this pic on the forum. Most people throw them out, but if your using an electric start it's good to keep it. It keeps the starter from staying engaged after the motor is running.

View attachment 14479

Oh yeah, it's the lower right one.

I found this pic on the forum. Most people throw them out, but if your using an electric start it's good to keep it. It keeps the starter from staying engaged after the motor is running.

View attachment 14479

Oh yeah, it's the lower right one.

Thanks man, I found one from a 1980 xs. I think I can make it work. It has both the safety relay for the starter, and the relay for the lights. Normally open relay for the lights, and Normally Closed for the starter if I'm correct.

Thanks man, I found one from a 1980 xs. I think I can make it work. It has both the safety relay for the starter, and the relay for the lights. Normally open relay for the lights, and Normally Closed for the starter if I'm correct.

1980 Safety Relay:
normally closed contacts............red/white goes to the starter relay, other red/white is connected downstream of the kill switch

normally open contacts.............red/yellow comes from the headlight fuse, blue/black goes to the RLD to supply the headlight.

1980 Safety Relay:
normally closed contacts............red/white goes to the starter relay, other red/white is connected downstream of the kill switch

normally open contacts.............red/yellow comes from the headlight fuse, blue/black goes to the RLD to supply the headlight.

Awesome! I'm pretty bad with electrical, this will help me a lot. Thanks! :bike:

If you have a headlight on-off switch on your right handlebar switch assembly then you don't need to hook up the headlight relay part. That switch will function normally and all the time if you leave the blue/black wire disconnected. That switch was discontinued after '78 down here in the states but maybe Yamaha allowed you Canadians to have it for a bit longer?

If you have a headlight on-off switch on your right handlebar switch assembly then you don't need to hook up the headlight relay part. That switch will function normally and all the time if you leave the blue/black wire disconnected. That switch was discontinued after '78 down here in the states but maybe Yamaha allowed you Canadians to have it for a bit longer?

I don't have a on/off switch for the lights. They must have discontinued them up here at the same time. No big deal though, I got a new wiring harness from mikes xs, and it looks like it will plug right in.

Back