Safety relay stays open?

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
yesterday I finally got the bike fired up and was working on getting the Carbs tuned in. When I started everything seemed fine but about 1/2 way through I shut off the bike and it wouldn't start again. Pushing the starter button resulted in silence. Anyway I traced the issue back to the safety relay that was being powered up and not allowing the starter to function. While checking for the problem I noticed that e minute I turn the key on the stator becomes magnetized. Should it be? What would you look for when trying to trace the safety issue? If I disconnect the relay the bike fires up.

The safety relay should only disable the start function after the motor starts and the charging system starts producing current. It sends power through the yellow wire from the stator into the safety relay. There is a set of contact points inside the relay that are normally closed allowing power to go through the safety relay to the starter relay through the red/white wire. When the current starts flowing through the yellow wire, the coil inside the safety relay opens the points and stops the current from going to the start relay through the red/white wire disabling the start function.Take the cover off the safety relay and make sure the points are free.

The rotor should become magnetized when you turn the key on, not the stator.

This confirms what I am seeing. I checked the safety relay and it’s free and operating properly. Below is what I’m seeing.

1) When the ignition is switched on the rotor becomes magnetized.
2) Even with the Ignition off the yellow wire to the relay has power and is keeping the safety relay closed.
3) If I disconnect the yellow wire to the relay.

Since the relay has worked fine up until I did this engine test I’m assuming that I’m looking for a short that is sending power back down the yellow wire. Does that sound accurate?

Yes, sounds like the yellow wire from the alternator has been cross connected to something else in the harness. The yellow wire and the SR can only become energized when the alternator is spinning and producing power.

Since it worked at the beginning of the day I'm going to have to hunt for something that shorted out or shifted during my tuning. I'm getting so close I can "taste" it.

Retiredgentleman any suggestion for a shop to do the out of province inspection?

hotrdd, I do my own maintenance on my car and my bike, so I can't really recommend anyone.

However, there is a place called TJ's Motorcycle, located on the Blackfoot here in town.
www.tjscycle.ca is the web site. They are big in the older bikes. They list an out of province inspection at $160.00

Back