Salty Dogs pipes

gordonscott

XS650exhaust.com
Reaction score
Hi Salty Dog, I just wanted to comment in public about a statement and picture you have on your website http://saltydogcycles.blogspot.com/ In the picture you have of the bike unfinished the pipe is not bolted on the frame, it is just hanging off the motor. It looks deceiving, as in it doesn't fit correctly. In the finished bike pictures we can see that they do fit correctly and are in line with the frame. I do not mind what you wrote "Gordon Scott Engineering came highly recommended but I wasn't too happy with the way they turned out, I will be making my own in the future" We are all entitled to our opinions/standards and no one can please everyone. But I do wish you had contacted me so I could have made right whatever you did not like about the pipes or refund your money? Anyone who has ever dealt with me knows I aim to please; customer service should be a #1 priority when purchasing products from me or any other vender. No hard feelings Dog, just wanted to tell my side as well. Best regards, Scott P.S. Bike came out great :thumbsup::thumbsup:
20120126222404.jpg
sexhaust.jpg

Hi Scott, Im sorry if you got offended by my opinion. Your work was great however there were a couple of things that i would have done differently, nothing on you. The customer was very happy with them and thats all that matters

Hi Scott, Im sorry if you got offended by my opinion. Your work was great however there were a couple of things that i would have done differently, nothing on you. The customer was very happy with them and thats all that matters
Hi Dog, It’s all good, I just didn’t want people mislead by that picture is all. If you are building bikes for other people then you know price is always a factor, if it wasn't I'm sure you would have done a few things different on that bike as well besides the pipes. But at $165.00 for a set of those pipes there is little room for profit as it is. Now if I were building pipes for Harley’s I could charge $600.00 ($100.00 in materials) a set and they wouldn’t even blink as they wrote the check :doh: There is a little voice in my head calling “ Come build pipes for Harley’s” “come to the dark side” (we have cookies!) Make mine chocolate chip please :D

Last edited:
My pipes on my pan were $140 and they were plated! I think you are over charging..!

why does it always have to be harley??

why does it always have to be harley??
Because most new Harley owners are such easy targets :laugh: First comes the bike, then pipes, jacket, gloves, boots, chaps, flask, lighter etc... Then back to the dealer for upgrades, this is my brother in law too a tee :laugh: A few years ago the only bike he ever had was a Honda, now he's the all American biker with the "If it ain't a Harley it ain't shit" attitude. Now if he could only figure out how to do an oil change it would save him some $$$$ at the dealer for more stuff to bolt on his bike :D The check book biker rides again! P.S. I like Harley "motorcycles" and even the riders without the attitude.

When you say it like that, you put the responsibility on the reader to interpret what you mean. Do you want the reader to infer that you would have "done things differently" because Gordon did things wrong? That's what it sounds like. Just about everyone on XS650.com knows that Gordon makes top-notch pipes, but if a n00b were to read that, it might affect his business. From your response above, it doesn't sound like that's what you intended.

To me, when you make a generic statement like that, "mehhhh these pipes are alright, but I would have done stuff differently because I'm a total baddass," it makes you sound like a jack-ass. At least, that's how it comes off to me, and I'm an intelligent, unbiased reader. Take it for what it's worth. You're blogging, this is what you're conveying.

So, out with it, back yourself up, what would you have done differently, and why?

Hey Guys, Wasn't trying to start anything, if posting pictures of my pipes I only wanted a fair representation of the pipes on the bike. By looking at the picture without the mount bolted on it looked like it did not fit. Everyone has different standards of quality and Dog is certainly entitled to his opinion. No worries, all is good :cheers:

Back