schematic for ignition

doubletrouble

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 81 H and bike went from running fine to mostly no spark. I'm trying to find and check all connections in the ignition system. bike has new coil,new voltage regulator,battery is new and fully charged. right before bike died it would slow down every time the turn signal came on and resume speed once it went off. then backfired and died.
fuses look good. kill switch is good.
bike sometimes has a couple of sparks at the plugs but then they stop:banghead:
bad pickup?

i could really use some input...

Cheers

yes i have a multimeter. those parts were installed after the bike stalled and the problem is still the same...just trying to get an idea of the ignition system so i can start in with the meter.
thanks anyway.

Original problem hints of low battery voltage, have you checked the voltages at the battery with ignition on etc ? Like inxs said , you can get new batteries that are no good

since the bike is not starting now and i've been giving my electric starter a workout lately, i checked battery voltage yesterday and it was 12.1. i put the charger on it and charged it up til 13.5. i wish i checked it two week ago right when it died.
thanks Kev

my manual has this ignition trouble-shooting flowchart(81'-H)

1.check entire ignition for bad connections.
2.check battery for voltage and specific gravity.
3.check fuses and fuse connections.
4. check resistance of ignition coil(primary-2.5ohms and secondary-11k ohms)
5.check pickup coil for resistance. 700 ohms(+/- 10%)
The manual states if everything checks out ok the TCI is faulty.

I'm still chasing down connections-how many?...not sure yet.
Battery is new and strong.
Fuses are good and fuse holders are good.
I need to check the new coil. The manual gives ohm values but I'm not sure how to test it- primary and secondary?

Miss riding my XS!

Back