scored a complete 447 minus cam chain & alternator..what to do?

mistercartoon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, so i scored a 447 motor that a bloke basically just took the head off & it never went back together.
He said it was a really good reliable engine but he wanted to do the cam chain as it had never been renewed & he wasnt sure what happened to the stator & rotor,but its gone...so here i am, with a spare new chain & a pma kit from hugh but not really a good idea where to start.
can we just assume for now that that yes the bottom end is fine & i just need to get the pma on (correctly) & fit a chain, all in correct positions.
what would do first? fit the pma to the crank & find tdc (unsure of how to do that correctly with head & barrel off) & then somehow use the marks on the cam to fit the chain?
i had planned once i got to this point to pull the bearing off the cam ends & slide it on.
Id really appreciate some advice & if this has been covered somewhere else, well...ive only seen bits & pieces not entirely suited to the spot im in.
thats great. thanks
will add pix soon

here is a jug and head install video
you should not have to take off the bearings to put on just the chain. if you are changing sprocket you do,Ed

Rotate the piston to TDC.
Install the, chain onto the camshaft with
no slack in the cam chain on the front
portion (opposite side from the tensioner).
Position the groove in the left side of the
cam sprocket so that it lines up with the
sprocket centers.
Joint the chain together and revet a new
link.
Install the cam chain tensioner, and adjust
chain tension.
Make sure the timing is correct.

Hey carbon, thanks for doing that...im thinking i might try to find a stock rotor & stator from somewhere, align it to the keyway then on the shaft to be dead sure that im a tdc. You think that would be neccassary? Also im unsure ,again from not having the thing in one piece to start with about being on the compression stroke, not exhaust...if i position my cam shaft just like yours in that video...with left side lobe down etc, should i be right?
thanks again

just use a probe in sparkplug hole to find TDC. TDC is TDC till you attach the chain to the cam. thats the cool thing because its a boxer engine. and the spark fires on both strokes

i suspected so, wild, ill be away the next free day i get ,thanks again mate!
i did end up pulling the top half of the case off just to inspect what i had that & that i had a noisy gear shaft, unsure which one just yet.
if you know would you tell me where this little solid steel piece cams from within the motor?
heres a few pix of a crack in the top half of bottom engine case...i rekon its repairable, do you have any suggestions?
appreciate the help. cheers

Last edited:
i suspected so, wild, ill be away the next free day i get ,thanks again mate!
i did end up pulling the top half of the case off just to inspect what i had that & that i had a noisy gear shaft, unsure which one just yet.
if you know would you tell me where this little solid steel piece cams from within the motor?
heres a few pix of a crack in the top half of bottom engine case...i rekon its repairable, do you have any suggestions?
appreciate the help. cheers

i 'm sure that is the cam stopper and the cover looks repairable to me. your welcome mate any time
full

Back