screw?

Top front.
A "cutaway" view
20180507_123245.jpg

:lmao:
In the US they were capped but the Canadian carbs wouldn't have the caps.
HS choke detail.jpg

You'll want to pull those mix screws and their associated parts out and inspect them. In particular, they have a tiny o-ring on the bottom that seals them in the hole. The screw won't function and meter fuel/air properly if that o-ring is bad .....

50uwrYZ.jpg

..... and if it's the original (probably is), it probably is bad, all mashed flat and hard as a rock, lol. You can use a 1mm x 3mm size for a replacement.

Use some thin stiff wire, make a hook to get that o-ring out, it's usually stuck in there pretty good.
BS34 idle needle spring o-ring and hook.jpg

hint; make the bend THEN clip the end of the wire off close.

jim those are the 2 screws i was asking about in my first post about jets, quess all thats is to order new jets, and hope for the best.
I've been looking for this thread :doh:and now here it is
Anytime I can see some pics with the information it makes it a little easier for me to understand

The PDF is off a Suzuki running BS34's. These are basically the same as our XS650 BS34's and the tutorial can be used to learn about yours

4E3-3W6-3U6 TEXT copyright.jpg 1 d5 Adjustment fuel level XS650SJ Service manual copyright.jpg

Attachments

• .. mikuni_bs-cv_carburetor_rebuild_tutorial.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Pull knob choke and float bowls with the drain screws on the side would indicate an '81 set, but all that stuff could have been changed or swapped. Are the floats brass or black plastic? Black plastic would be another '81 indicator.
i lied about the floats, thought it tarnished brass, but yes they are black plastic, sorry

float bowls with the drain screws on the side would indicate an '81 set, .

For future reference..........

Candian, Oceania (and maybe the Euro Custom), BS 34's have the side drain screw on the float bowls from 1980. Part no 3U6 which is a Canadian 1980 model. My 80SG Oceania model has the side drain screws

The difference is the floats. 80 Candian/Oceania still has the brass floats changing to plastic in 81

For future reference..........

Candian, Oceania (and maybe the Euro Custom), BS 34's have the side drain screw on the float bowls from 1980. Part no 3U6 which is a Canadian 1980 model. My 80SG Oceania model has the side drain screws

The difference is the floats. 80 Candian/Oceania still has the brass floats changing to plastic in 81
you may be on to something, when i got her the exhaust pipes had been drilled, i'm wondering if they switched carbs, and i'm finding gasket maker every where, engine covers, and the tapet covers too, maybe switching carbs smooth things out, wierd, ser# says it's an 79/80.

There's no such thing as a '79/'80. It's either a '79 or an '80. Bikes are like cars in that they start manufacturing the next year's models in the late summer or early fall of the previous year.

has been asked before and ignored. Pics and information about the bike is important for answers to the questions asked.

Some pics of the bike and vin no's and every man and his dog can give you more information on what you have and what has been mismatched than a years worth of questions and answers

There's no such thing as a '79/'80. It's either a '79 or an '80. Bikes are like cars in that they start manufacturing the next year's models in the late summer or early fall of the previous year.

to be fair 5T. the vin chart i use and have posted does have the model as 79/80 and the last date is the model. This refers to the model stretching over the 2 years.

U.S. '80 models had brass floats as well.
the tag on the steering neck was jan. 17 1980 here the motor vin 447-911334, i'll get frame one later

Back