Seafoam

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I've been reading on numerous car and bike forums about the advantages of Seafoam.
How many of you here use it and it what ratio? Would a cap full every tank be OK or ???

Sell it and use it. Our (Advance Auto ) top selling fuel and injecter additive.
How much.....???? 1 can does an auto tank, figure 20 gal +,- . Our tanks are 5 gal.
I recommend to my customers 1 can to no less than 1/2 tank of fuel.
I have a 5 gal. gas can that I concoct a little something extra for the XS only and Seafoam goes in.

Use it and love it. I follow the directions on the can. One ounce per gallon I think. Keeps things clean and also works as a stabilizer in my gas cans for over the cold Nebraska winters. Never had a problem with stale gas in the spring.

just ran seafoam thru my 2003 suzuki marauder. recently rejetted it, tore the carbs apart, and since it has 12k miles on it, I put 6oz. in the 3.5 gallon tank. Iknow its overkill, but i never ran it in that bike before. I went for a ride, about ten miles in, it started running smoother,, idled nicer at stops. burned half the tank on that trip, went home. let it sit for a few days, (it will smoke white smoke on start up, since its eating the carbon on your pistons while sitting) and did it again till I hit reserve, fill back up with only gas, runs primo!!
On my 80 yama, I have no frame of reference since whenI got it, it had a holed piston, so, there isnt any carbon on new pistons, and I rebiult those carbs, so, it'll be awhile before i try it on my chop.
Heres my disclaimer for doubling the dose:
I am not responsible for any damage you may incure by following my recomendations. I didnot follow directions.
There. With that said, do it.

Last edited:
I use it in all my cars, especially my aircooled VW's. Every once in a while I will inject it straight into the carb(s). You will smoke out the neighbor hood, but it seems to clean things up well. Then run it in the gas for a tank or two.
I also use a little Marvel mystery oil in the gas and oil as well... probably overkill, but it's pretty cheap where I am.

I use it to winterize and then add 3 oz to a midsummer tank, the midsummer application is "just making sure".

The first time I used it, I had "thoroughly" cleaned the carbs 3 times. Within 10 miles of adding seafoam to a full gas tank the idle speed increase by 500 rpm. I have not had a single deceleration pop since then.

My buddies and I used to use it all the time in our beater cars.. disconnect the pcv valve and dump it in slowly so it gets right into the intake. It would smoke out the neighborhood like ember said but worked great! A friend had an '84 Toyota truck that wouldn't go over 55mph.. after a few cans of seafoam and a little tearing around the country side, it was back to life!

Back