Wizard of Smiles

Retro Rookie Rider
Reaction score
I have an 83" and I'm not crazy about the seat. I like the more classic look of the early the 70's or the Brat style seat that are stripped down. I see a lot of people have different seats on your xs650's.. I want to keep the frame mostly stock, not bobber style, I'm not looking for the cafe style w/ the had rear, but I'd love to see pics.

Has anyone used the sr500 seat on your xs650?

An '80 seat has about the same gradual hump as a '79, and will fit right on like the original does. That's what I did for my '81. I couldn't give the original '81 seat away, btw.

Would be interesting to see a how-to on the adaptation of the '79 seat.

The main issue is whether your comfortable with removing the stock seat hinges and lock. If you are, if you gives you a few more options.

If your not, then you've got to work with the overall width between the lock and the hinges, which is about 1.5 inches wider than the frame.

The main issue is whether your comfortable with removing the stock seat hinges and lock. If you are, if you gives you a few more options.

If your not, then you've got to work with the overall width between the lock and the hinges, which is about 1.5 inches wider than the frame.

Yep.
The seat on that bobber flows well with the frame, probably due to the airboxes/side covers removed -appears to be a Special frame. I found that a straight lined seat on the seat rail, along with the Special side covers, left a noticeable glitch in the lines and asthetics. Couldn't get my eyes past it.

Here's a straight line seat, fitted ON the rails with the sidecovers.....
chromed004.jpg

I'm going to be laying up my own pan and carving foam by the end of the year. I have de-tabbed the frame as I'll be using the rear hoop of the frame to hold the seat in place.

Just hardware store fiberglass mat and polyester. I'll be using some Pre-cast MDI Polyurethane foam, I'll eventually mix and pour my own MDI Foam from BJB http://www.bjbenterprises.com/pdf/TC-295.pdf

I'll take good pictures. I'll Aluminum and painters tape up the frame/tank/etc and just using non-hardening modeling clay to do the detail pattern making. I'll be making a structure for the "hump" out of insulation foam, finish it with metal glaze/bondo, pull a plaster mold to make a fiberglass part. It should be nice, it's been 7 years since I've made a custom seat :D

I'm very expensive and a poor craftsman, still interested?

1975, cut off the seat lock and pivot tabs. The seat will "hang" onto the rear hoop and "Wedge" under the rear tank mount. Pictures will help.

I always make molds, but the interface to the yamaha frame will get a layer of felt + tape + modeling clay to layup directly onto. We'll see what the reaction is after I'm done, I can get quotations on epoxy tools and epoxy parts...I'll do the foam personally. We shall see what the reaction is in a couple months.

Back