Seat troubles

David Toll

Reliving my youth?
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd send in a few photos to break the boredom. The old SE is starting to look a treat. I am still waiting for the voltage rectifiers I ordered from China before we went into lockdown and the postal services started giving O/S mail a chance to "devirus". The order did say it wasn't priority and may take a month or so - it has.
Put the bike's seat on and noticed a distinct lean to the right. Inspected the hinges and rubbers and all seemed OK so I cut some aluminium spacers to lift the hinges and mounted them with rubber washers. Looks better and may even work. Now paint everything black. Masking that upholstery edge will be a challenge.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
And now a question. I filled the tank with Evapo-Rust and gave it a couple of good soak and slosh sessions. The instructions say to rinse it out with fresh water and then refill it with the chemical and empty again, allowing the residue to dry on the tank inner surface to avoid flash rusting. It appears to have done this but I would like to fill the tank with something more protective while I finish some odds and ends - could be a month. Could I use Ethanol, "Super" fuel a two stroke mixture, diesel or Kerosene? I want something that won't damage the petcock filters and internals and provide some degree of protection until I drain it and fill it with 94 octane to run.

I like to use a mix of gas and oil, not a precise ratio, but more gas than oil (3,4, to 1?) make about a cup full, enough to swirl around and coat the tank. Easy to dump out residue when it's time to put the tank into service.

I agree on the gas/oil mix; it has been successful for me.
I don't want to start another WD40 thread rant, but it has also worked fine for me multiple times.

Yes Dude,I sprayed the inside with a bit of WD but I want something with more substance. I can see why ATF would work Team J but I would like to fill the tank and that may cost me what is left of my superannuation. Looks like gas and oil. Is that engine oil or two stroke oil or doesn't it matter?
Thanks gents.

Back